Botox injections for Overactive bladder

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I have been suffering with an overactive bladder for the past seven years.  I have tried all the medications which I could not tolerate,  I am currently going through treatment of Tibial Nerve stimulation and have a great consultant.  I am now at a point of considering Botox treatment to see how this might work.  Have any of you any experiences of this treatment, both good and bad so that I might make an informed choice?  There is also the Sacral Nerve stimulator which I could have inserted, does anyone have any experiences of this procedure as well?  Any support/advice would be most welcome.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks and best wishes Rosie Schneider

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rosie....i've had 2 courses of botox.

I'm the same...overactive bladder...urge incontinency for the past 4 years. I tried tablets (but all they did was dry up my mouth) before being offered the botox.

So far for me it's been the best treatment.

It's a bit weird watching it being done. You see the needle go in but you don't feel the prick until a second later. The benefits for me only lasted roughly 4 months on each occasion, but it was well worth it to have a let up of wetting myself/changing pads constantly.

I am currently having accupuncture in my ankle which i don't find to be of much use. I'm due to have another top up in a couple of weeks. I'm going to ask for more botox.

I'd say go for it. It's not too uncomfy n over very quickly. It made such a difference to me.

Good luck!!

Kind regards Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,  many thanks for replying to me enquiry.  I am so glad that the procedure worked for you and has offered you some relief.  I am considering this option as well as the sacral nerve stimulation, but am concerned about having to self catherise, but if in the end it offers relief from the wetting and changing pads all the time I would be very happy.  Best wishes,  Rosie
  • Posted

Hi Rosie,

I was also diagnosed with oab, having a painfull, uncontrolable urge many times day and night.

I had botox treatment last march. Because it was the first time they didn't use much botox, so after 3 month it didn't work anymore. During the first 2 month i had to catheterise my self daily. It worked for me like a lock on my bladder, i still had the painfull urge ( unfortunatly ) but i would not leak anymore. I myself don't know if i want to do it again. I hoped it would also increase the urge pain but for me it didn't.

Getting the botox was not very painfull, and for several weeks i did not leak anymore.

I know suffering from oab and incontinence is very disturbing so i would also say, try it.

Good luck!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Eden,  Thanks for your reply.  I am sorry to hear that you suffer from pain when you urge.  It is not something that I have experienced.  I am getting closer to having a go with Botox, but want to try the Sacral nerve stimulation first I think.  I am not sure how I would get on with using a cather.  As you say, this is such a horrible problem to have to deal with, and one that seems to effect all age groups.  Best wishes, Rosie

• Posted

Hi Rosie, not everyone has to use a catheter after botox treatment, however one should be aware it could be necessary and it is not something to be afraid of. And there is also a risk of bladder infection after the treatment, which happend to me.

Having a nerve stimulator inserted is i think also a very invasive treatment, but from what i read many patients had good results with it, once the device is properly adjusted.

Hope one or the other will work out for you !!

• Posted

I totally agree with you. I was taught how to insert/use a cathater prior to my botox, but thankfully i didn't have to use it. I didn't have any problems. I just wish it would've lasted longer for me x

• Posted

I had Botox injections 2 months no results urine retention headaches back pain back spasms does any one know when the Botox will wear off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.