Bowel Obstruction

Posted , 4 users are following.

My sister has been suffering from some form of bowel obstruction for at least 2 years now. For the most part, doctors, nurses, and anyone who has really seen her has diagnosed her with anorexia, or completely written her off, due to her extremely low weight (around 40-45 kg). The reason she is this weight, is because it causes her extreme pain when she eats too much, to the point that she has gone into shock because of the pain. She has been trying to fight this by herself for a long time, and has come to a point where she is completely deteriorating both mentally and physically. Our general practitioner was entirely useless, and only referred her to an academic hospital when she was practically on death's bed. After fighting to get to the hospital, she was finally accepted into the gastroenterologist department (sorry if this is incorrect, I live in the Netherlands so I'm not sure what it is called in English). At first it went well, but before she was finally allowed to get a bowel endoscopy, they put her on a bunch of laxatives for the entire day, even though her vitals were incredibly low. I'm too over the situation to explain everything that happened at the hospital, but they gave her some form of medication that, along with her extreme sleep deprivation, eventually put her into psychosis. I can't explain how awful it was, and how it has, and will affect her for the rest of her life. She was sent to the psych ward to recover, both physically and mentally, which took more than 2 months. At the end of it, they diagnosed her with an eating disorder. I can't write the entirety of the story, and I would also like to mention that I have no medical knowledge, and this is just how I have experienced it. I know my sister, I live with her, I take into account what she eats, and pay a great deal of attention to her habits. I know that she has no eating disorder, I watch everything she eats, and pay attention to see if she were going to throw up, which she has never done. She is desperate to have her life back, to eat the food that she wants, to go places without feeling like she's about to die. She no longer has hope, and is suicidal. We have been to every medical professional possible, we have been to private clinics, and are considering alternative professionals and medicine. Nothing has come out if it. Her body is no longer absorbing nutrients, and she is constantly tired and in pain. She is only 23 years old. I am not going to lose my sister because of this, so please, if anyone has any form of advice, anything that could possibly be helpful, please, please, write it down. Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hello Katherine33200,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that your loved one may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if they are having such thoughts then please note that they are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If they are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you encourage them to speak to someone who may be able to help. 113 Suicide Prevention https://www.113.nl/english is a Dutch national organisation which can help her explore her options, understand her problems better, or just be there to listen.

Yours sincerely,

Patient

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.