Bowel Problem and possible cancer

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been having bowel problems for approx 2yrs, going from having 'normal' BM to constipation and hard lumps. I also get a burning sensation, like inflammation, usually when I'm constipated,which radiates up my back, bloating in upper stomach and lots of flatulance. I have been treated with omeprazole, laxatives and recently I was told I may have IBS and was told to try buscopan. Last week when I had a lumpy episode, for the very first time, I noticed a small amount of bright red blood on

one of the lumps. I just thought it was because I had struggled to go.

I went to my GP, and had blood tests done on Tues, was told to phone Thurs for results, but had a phone call on Wed to see GP on Thurs. 

She said she had requested a test, which I can't remember the name of, and it came back showing a very slight chance that I may or may not have bowel  cancer sad. She has now refered me for a camera test sometime in the next 2 weeks. Something I am terrified of having sad.

From what I have read, I don't have any of the classic signs of bowel cancer, no weight loss, no diarrhoea, still eating well.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to here if your illness

Bright red blood means it's coming from lower down in the vowel or anus which can be a lot of different things including cancer but that's the worst scenario

The test is something they do to find an enzim in the blood or marker that has a chance it could be bowel cancer but again it can be many things I think the worst thing to do is google it and I have done it in the past your doctor is doungbthecrightbthing sending you for a test and that will put your mind at ease

Please don't try to worry as that can make you feel worse I'm sure every thing will be fine and please let us know how you get on there's Lenth if great support here always

Take care

Kevin

• Posted

hi i had the same was just a polyp ,i would ask to be put out though ,i just had sedation but next time ill be put out,as discomfort ,honest your be ok im sure its nothing to worry about,tc magssmile
  • Posted

By coincidence, I went this afternoon for a pre-colonoscopy consultation.  This one is for the surgeon to check on the post-op situation  a year after the operation.  I had one over year ago which found my bowel cancer and resulted in the op.  All I can say is that I have no concerns about this second session because the first one went so well (apart from finding that I had cancer, that is!).  I opted to have entonox gas rather than sedation but didn't really need to use it, and will be doing the same when I take this latest test.  The only downside of having a colonoscopy is the need to take a remarkably effective laxative prior to the test!
  • Posted

I have the same problem. I had s colonoscopy and the found s polyp /hemaroids and diverticulitis.

The diverticulos at times will bleed and give you pain on your left lower abdomen. It also cause your stoop to be like pebbles. The hemaroids also bleed when you go hard and polyps can sometime cause bleeding.

I'm always stressing and I think half the time I cause the problem. I hope this can help.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, I have an appointment on Thursday, not for the camera, yet, its just a consultation. I am just a little bit annoyed as to how the GP put it to me, "you may or may not have cancer", as it has put the fear of god in me and doesn't help with my stress levels. As it happens, I have not seen any more blood since that one time. I am thinking now that I should have asked did she mean bowel cancer or cancer in general. I'm trying not to think the worse as this has been going on for approx 2yrs and I think I would be pretty ill by now if it was anything serious.
  • Posted

What a terrible thing for your doctor to say! Honestly, do they not realise what its like to go home and worry yourself sick. I can totally empathise with your situation as mine is similar. I do agree that you would probably be a lot worse given the length of time you have had the symptoms if it were cancer. I passed blood eight weeks ago and thats me just got my date for a colonoscopy in late December. Not sure if you have read up on Diverticular disease as thats a possibility.

Wishing you all the best and hope you get answers soon x

• Posted

Hi Spain

I have the same problem like you have for one and half year now. I am not only brave to do clonoscopy. Its been 4 years that they removed my galbladder but i never get well. I kept having pain in my right side and suddenly i got a sever left pain a year ago. My entire colon is in pain now. I have a sever constipation. everything changed after the galbladder surgery. i am not the same person anymore. Doctor wants me to do colonoscopy but i am afraied to do it. I dont like the sedation medication it scares me. Especialy when he told me they gonna use Proponol the one that killed MJ. I dont know what to do. sad

Can IBS effect the upper part of the colon? And can it give the severe constipation instead of dierria? Beacuse I am severely constopated and when I have Bowl movment I can feel it's moving especially in the upper left curve. I get terrible pain and pressure until it goes down and out. Then I get burning pain my pain eases if I sleep on my left side. So I don't know if I have IBS or something else. I can not stop worrying. I keep thinking about what if I have this or that. Two years constopated as well. But y doc does not worry.

• Posted

Well I have had my appointment with the consultant this morning, and I must say I am feeling a whole lot happier now and not so worried. I asked about the blood test that was slightly elevated and he said that test should never be used to diagnose bowel cancer, and that it could possibly be raised because I am a smoker. I am having the camera in two weeks to see if there is a reason for my bowel movements being like they are, but he has told me to increase my fibre and drink lots more water. I did tell him that two GP's had suggested IBS, he said possibly or diverticulitis. I will keep you informed.
  • Posted

Well I went for my colonoscopy on Wed, but unfortunately I had to ask them to stop as the pain was horrendous, and that was with sedation!!!!!  I'm presuming it was as the camera was going around a bend as nobody explained as it was happening, but on the report I was given it says seen up to splenic flexure. Unfortunately nobody explained anything to me afterwards, but there again I probably wouldn't have taken it in as I was still a bit spaced out when I left. I do remember the doctor sticking his head around the curtain to tell me he was arranging a ct colonoscopy instead, In fact that was the only time he did speak to me.

• Posted

I have diverticulosis and it goes in hand with IBS. You can get very bad constipation or at times the runs. I too have had several colonoscopies. The first two all find apart diverticulitis the last one they found a polyp. The removed it while I was under and it wasn't cancers thank god. I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years. I think it's a great idea if bowel cancer is catch early better. What I do is take intestinal cleaner No 9. It helps me go and I have stopped having wheat. So far the pain and constipation is ok.

Also have a green pear every day. They are high in fibre. Good luck but try and not stress. It's hard to do but stress brings it on. Keep us posted x

• Posted

Sorry I've not updated before now. I had my ct colonoscopy done mid Dec, walk in the park compared to the camera smile. Had to chase the results up mid Jan as they hadn't been forwarded to the original consultant that I had seen.

Good news is, nothing sinister was found, but I do have some diverticular and avoid constipation. That was it, just in a letter, no follow up or help in how to manage it. 

• Posted

That's great news. I have that too. You do occasionally get little pains here and there. Try and increase your fiber. Don't get constipated. I have z colon intestinal cleaner and keeps everything sold and moving. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi rosedee and shazz we all have the same diagnosis... diverticulosis and hemmorhiod...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.