Bowel problems: IBD (virtually) ruled out, any ideas?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

I'm a 20 year-old student and I've been having some bowel issues and was wondering if anyone could suggest what I potentially have. I'll start by giving an overview of my symptoms/story, I'm really sorry if it's long.

So, mid-May, I begin to notice I'm going to the toilet more often than usual - about 5 times per day, more than my usual 2-3. Early-to-mid June I see my GP about it. He orders a CBC and faecal tests. No parasites, liver function tests normal, inflammatory markers (e.g elevated white blood cell counts as well as signs in my faeces) were unremarkable etc. The faecal occult blood test I think was abnormal, and I was borderline anaemic (although I had given blood 5-6 days before).

My GP then referred me to a consultant who I saw earlier this month, and he gave me a full physical check-up. He examined my abdomen (no tenderness/mass to be felt in my abdomen), listened to everything etc. and everything seemed normal. No abnormality in his examination of my rectum. One thing he noticed was a slight heart murmur, but that's another issue that I'm now being checked for.

So he proceeded to book me for a colonoscopy to check everything out, which will be late August - I wish it was sooner, I can't get this all out of my head.

Between seeing my GP and the consultant I had a severe bout of diarrhea (10-12 times/day with a couple of night visits to the toilet) which peaked for about 2 days then went away. Most of my movements during this had a lot of water in them as well as a lot of green or yellow mucous - I'd never had diarrhea like that before! The stools sat in the toilet and looked like green sand. Since recovering from that my bowel movement frequency has been better - down to 2-3 times per day for about 3 weeks now. The stools themselves still vary quite a lot in appearance, but have always been solid and I see red blood very occasionally.

Things I don't have: no significant weight loss, I'm not particularly tired, and have no notable abdominal pain either. I feel fine overall apart from my bowel habits and the worrying about it.

Overall my main worry here is colorectal cancer. I'm only 20 and my GP has stressed to me how rare it is at my age but I'm constantly worried. IBD is unlikely because there are no signs of inflammation in my body according to my tests, so my mind jumps straight to CRC. Again I'm glad to be having the colonoscopy to see about this, but I really wish it was sooner, waiting is awful.

In a way I think I just wanted to write all of this down and talk about it. What could this possibly be though? I know cancer is a possibility here, please don't shy away from saying it. Also, could colorectal/bowel cancer cause a severe bout of diarrhea like I had, then have those more severe symptoms go away? Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Bless you. I ache for you.

Hope someome in this forum can come up with a similar experience, and be able to empathise as well as identify your horrible symptoms

With love.

• Posted

Richard,

First of all I would like to say you can almost rule out Bowel cancer with 100% certainty. Your GP is correct - CRC very, very, very rarerly occurs in people of your age.  And when it does occurr - it's usually because they have a genetic condition. You would in all probability know if you had this condition.

When bowel cancer symptoms do occur, they do not get better and go away - they persist and worsen and worsen.  In CRC, the diarrhoea is casued by the "poo" trying to squeeze past the tumour - hopefully that will let you see why the symptoms wouldn't disappear. For them to disappear, the tumour would have to disappear! 

The anaemia does, however, indicate the likelihood of GI bleeding - this could be occurring anywhere in your GI tract; for example, stomach, oesophagus, but because you've said you've seen blood in your motions, it could possibly be hemerrhoids or IBD- please be aware that the blood tests you had DO NOT rule out IBD.  It could be a condition called microscopic colitis. 

As IBD is a possibility, if you develop the following symptoms together, go to A&E at once:

* Inability to pass motions or wind for 24hours or more

* Cramping

I hope I helped you, and please rest assured. It is in all likelihood NOT CRC. 

• Posted

Thank you! My GP did mention the possibility of microscopic colitis as well so I'll see I suppose! I'm still worried but you have provided me with a fair bit of reassurance; I needed that, so thank you.

I'll try to post on here about my colonoscopy after I have it done anyway, if anyone who's reading this is interested.

• Posted

Glad I've been able to help reassure you. 

Somehow, when writing my initial response, I missed the part where you said you had night time toilet visits and the green sand (suggests impaired bile salts re-absorption).  These are *classic* signs of IBD. 

Please keep us posted on your colonoscopy.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi, just thought I'd give an update if anyone's interested still.

I'm posting really because my colonoscopy is approaching; two weeks on Monday. I've been okay anxiety-wise until today, as I've started to think about it again.

My bowel habits have actually been pretty good for a solid 3-4 weeks now: average of twice a day (that was my norm before) and the shape is also fairly consistent too! So that's not added much to my anxiety, it's just the date fast approaching that's making me think again. In a way, I can't wait so I can get some answers, but I am also rather anxious. We'll see anyway.

Also, question: amoore658, you posted that what I described were classic signs of IBD, but if my stool/blood tests didn't show indicators of inflammation then is it possible that because I had these tests done a good few weeks before these 'classic' signs surfaced for a few days (the mucous; the green, sandy stool; night-time visits; my lower bowels feeling extremely uncomfortable) then they missed the inflammatory markers? At the time when I had the tests done, the only thing that I had gone to the Doctor's for was the increase in bowel movements, but I had not yet experienced the severity of that week. Maybe my levels would have been a lot higher if they'd taken samples when I experienced these 'classic' signs?

One additional thing that I have also noticed recently however is my eyes seem to redden more than usual. I also seem to have a constant slight pink tinge on both my sclera, on the inner side of my irises/pupils. I could have sworn the consultant that referred me for a colonoscopy asked me about eye redness, but I had not noticed any at that point. Is this relevant?

Anyway, I am happy to say my bowel habits are almost normal now and have not been troubled by them recently. Just need that colonoscopy. Thank you all.

• Posted

Hey! I have no idea if anyone will see this post as my thread's not very active but here we go:

Had the colonoscopy today; absolutely fine! Had gas which I could control myself; bit painful going round one of the bends (like a massive stitch) but other than that, fine, really smooth. Results-wise, my colon is very healthy for the most part, apart from a little 'patchy' inflammation in my rectum, plus first degree haemorrhoids apparently. So I'm very happy, nothing too serious looking at this, just have to wait for my biopsy results which will arrive in a couple of weeks!

I feel like a massive weight's been lifted though; I would not say a colonoscopy is the most pleasant experience in the world, but a lot better than I expected. All I can say is to get it done if you're recommended to; better safe than sorry at any age! smile

• Posted

I think you have done exactly the right thing Richard. Your colonoscopy will help to identify the reasons for your symptoms. It's best not to try to diagnose them ourselves. Young people can have CRC and tests such as colonoscopy can pick up changes in the bowel at an early stage. I hope you have a satisfactory outcome from your test.
  • Posted

Hi Richard, firstly.. please don't worry. I am a 23 yr old female who was diagnosed with proctitis (colitis in the lower part of my bowel) in july during a colonoscopy. And guess what.. My bloods all came back with no sign of inflammation.

Your symptoms sound so similar to mine.

I am in no doubt that every thing will be going ok. Let us know?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.