Bowel symptoms- really worried :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 33 year old male and I've lately gotten really worried about some bowel symptoms.

I've had bright red blood when I wipe on and off for years. I always put this down to haemorrhoids, given that I have spent a lot of time on the toilet straining in the past. I remember looking at a home remedy once that involved white vinegar and advised limiting time on the toilet to a few minutes. That seemed to clear things up, so I thought nothing of it. Since then I have experienced it on and off still, but always seemed to find results were better when I didn't strain for too long on the toilet.

Also for a good many years now, I have experienced bloating and cramps, though usually only after a night of drinking or eating raw food (I followed a raw food diet for a while to help rid me of some severe eczema some years ago). I'd say I haven't had bloating or cramps for a good 4/5/6 months now.

Anyway, these past few weeks I have been experiencing increased frequency of bowel movements (usually just go once a day but recently have been going twice around 3/4 days a week). This has been coupled with increased frequency of urination (this morning I peed around five times before 11am). Oh, and my stools have been pretty normal - they are regularly around a 3 on the Bristol stool chart, largely because I am vegetarian and tend to eat a salad for lunch and lots of vegetables for dinner. I have never seen any trace of blood in my stool. When I eat well, it is always a 3 and there is usually quite a lot of it (which I put down to exercise).

One other thing I have noticed is my weight. I've been a keen cyclist for years and cycle to work every day, and most days I run about 5.5 miles during my lunch break. My weight has kept fairly steady at around 9.75 to 10 stone. However, over the last few weeks I haven't run as much, and have been eating a lot, during which time my weight has hovered around, or just under, 10 stone. This seems strange to me - it's not so much that I'm losing weight, as much as that I'm not putting it on when I feel I should be.

Add to all this, as of last night, I began feeling some slight stomach discomfort around 5am this morning, which has lingered all day (I can still do things, but I just notice that it's a bit uncomfortable from time to time). 

The only difference the last day or so is that my stomach has been gurgling a lot and the last couple of bowel movements have been free from any blood (both wiping and in stool - largely because I'm now hyper aware of what it could be and have been limiting my time on the toilet for fear of straining too much).

Anyway, now I'm totally freaking out that it could be colon cancer and I'm scaring myself witless. On the plus side, I've only had one bowel movement today and there was no blood in it whatsoever. That has to be a good thing right? But then I have the stomach discomfort, which is caught up with the fact that I have a cold at the moment, along with sore throat and a fuzzy headache.

Am I worrying over nothing or does it sound serious? I have spent the whole day googling and not sure how I will be able to sleep sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

All I can suggest is that you stop googling and have a talk with your Dr. 
  • Posted

Yes DONT google ! Googgle will mess your head up like it did to me ! 1st talk to god and have total faith in him .

It can be a million different things . Don't stress on it . Just see your DR and a colonoscopy and endoscopy is always always best . It can save your life . So please don't belive it's the worst . Most of the time it's somthing very simple.

• Posted

Hi Matthew

Any kind of blood in your stool should never ever been ignored, Matthew go and get it checked out because if it is cancer and I pray to god it's not you will have caught it early and can be cured GET ANA APPOINTMENT MADE NOW and good luck

• Posted

Google does not have an M.D.

And did you know that most of the people with colon cancer do not know that they have cancer?

Eat correctly, a balanced diet and you should move your bowels without trying.

And go visit a gastroenterologist and have a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Go and see your doctor and tell him your symptoms.

Stop googling it makes things worse.

Get checked out and wait for the outcome (if that becomes necessary).

Possible colonoscopy/endosc may be needed- but it's all down to a professional!

Reading other comments on this one-yes I had colon cancer and didn't know it!

Good Luck.

• Posted

I wasn't going to add to this, but I will. Yes, I had colon cancer and Dr's treated me for an infection which blood tests showed. No improvement after two weeks so told to go to ED. CT scan the next morning then emergency surgery for a blockage and small perforation. Nobody suspected cancer, in fact before the scan I was told that surgery was unlikely. Not trying to scare anyone, just saying that things must be checked professionally. By the way, I'm ok so far after three years and am still trying not to google. Best wishes and keep us posted! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.