Breakthrough anxiety after 7 months on Lexapro. Please share your experiences!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I'm just finishing 7 months on Lexapro and i was feeling normal and good for past couple of months. But i have been experiencing anxiety, moodiness for the past couple of days. i have had blips such as this before but it went away in 1-2 days.

Also i am experiencing lack of appetite because of anxiety which makes my stomach feel funny.

did anyone face a similar issue and did it get better? it is so discouraging.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

yes i am feeling the same thing. I have been on for 6 months and the last 3 weeks at 15 mg. I had horrible anxiety over the last few days and today just took 10 mg. It is incredibly discouraging.

• Posted

Hello Vaishak,

I have been there before.

I actually started my second run with Lexapro in February of 2017 after a depressive/anxious episode. Things stablized, and life returned to normal.

I actually was thinking about weaning off the medication in 2019; however, in December of 2019 I experienced another depressive/anxious episode, while on the medicine.

In the end, I spoke to my doctor, and we increased the dosage from 10 mg (as this had been the dosage that I had been on for two years) to 20 mg. This did the trick, and life returned to normal.

So to answer your question, breakthrough depression and anxiety while on the medicine can happen. Of course, have a conversation with your doctor to determine the best course of action. But anecdotally, for me, it happened and what did the trick for me was increasing my dosage of Lexapro.

Sending well wishes and light, and hoping that things get better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.