Breast cancer?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, i was wondering what some peoples opinions may be on the following situation...

My mum is 38 , had a full Hysterectomy just over a year and half ago, with this comes increased risk of menopause and breast cancer.

The situation itself:

• my mum discovered a lump in her left breast october last year, at this time it was the size of a pea
  • she then thought nothing of it left it, a couple of months later one day she experienced agonising pain in that breast. It shortly went and she thought nothing of it again
  • then she realised just a week ago that the lump was still present, but it had grown in size to the size of small gobstopper
  • the day after the discovery her nipple started secreting this greenish/clear substance, which she finally decided a doctors appointment was useful to book
  • the appointment went ahead she had swollen lymph nodes and they prescribed antibiotics to see if the nipple secretion would stop, also swabbed and sent of a sample for testing.
  • were at the point now where we have to wait for the scan and results but things arent looking good.
  • 3 days of antibiotics and nipple shows no sign of stopping in secretion.

I suppose the worry comes from the fact she has:

a lump (that has grown)

leaking stuff from the nipple

redness around the breast with the lump

tender breast

important to note she has no menstral cycle since her Hysterectomy as all that was removed. since that she has had no hormone injections either. Also she had a adrenal tumour already (benign) , uncle has prostate cancer and her nanna died from breast cancerafter it spread to other vital organs.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THIS CAN BE! need hope that it could be something else!

she is a mother of 4 (21, 19, 11, 6)

thank you for taking time the read any opinions and suggestions is appreciated xxx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

unfortunately only a doctor can give you the answer here. your mother has started down the right road to a diagnosis and treatment for whatever is wrong with her. try not to worry.

• Posted

imaging is a wonderful thing which will provide much more information. They will most likely do a biopsy to test the lump if think it is necessary. a lump can be many things, cysts, fibroadenoma's for example. the other symptoms do add to the concern. however she is on the right path now and even if it does turn out to be breast cancer it is not the end. treatments now are fantastic! the best of luck with the appointment.

• Posted

true and thanks just trying to distract myself, trying to fond another explanation really, but yeah ultimately only the appointment will tell.

Thanks though,

Wynter

• Posted

I would of said infection. Antibiotics do not cure the problem unless you take them often and keep taking them until problem is solved. Once antibiotics have stopped been taken the problem can come back, and sometimes get worse. Its important to keep taking the medication until problem is solved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.