breast cancer and lymph node question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

My mother's been recently diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. She's undergone a complete mastectomy and got her results back. I am glad with her results, given the fact her cancer is hormone positive and HER-2 negative and mitoses are 1. There is no vascular or perineural invasion present. The doctors said she will need 4 cycles of chemotherapy and will be given hormone treatment.

Here's the thing that scares me and need an answer: They did a biopsy of 3 of her sentinel lymph nodes. Two of the were negative and the found only one micrometastasis (1,5 mm) in one. Her doctor said that axillary lymph node dissection will not be necessary and I understand her decision, but want to know why she hasn't proposed axillary lymph nodes radiation?

Do you think axillary lymph node radiation would be reasonable?

Thank you for you answers.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Forgotten to add: Her TNM classification would, therefore, be T1N1miM0.

• Posted

As only one lymph node was found to be affected then its usual for Chemotherapy and hormone therapy to be adequate treatment. If 2 or more are affected then they would be dissected. Its essential that as many lymph nodes as possible are left for adequate drainage. Otherwise your mother could experience a lot of swelling in her arm.

Try to work with your Mothers doctor and ask her questions about things that bother you. She will be used to lots of questions from concerned patients and relatives and should be able to give you the answers you need.

This will be a very trying time for your Mother so do try not to worry her with your doubts. Just give her lots of loving care and reassurance.

• Posted

Maybe proposed axillary lymph nodes radiation provokes cancer, or problems. Its better safe then sorry, or course you could ask the doctor, and see what they suggest. Radiation can be something dangerous, i would not consider it myself in any way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.