breast reduction post op recovery and pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 67 years' old and 8 weeks post op for a breast reduction surgery. Surgery went well, healing is perfect but persistent throbbing pain in breasts, burning pain around site of surgery etc are making me feel extremely fed up. I would like to know how long recovery is - I have a fairly active life having lots of dogs and some small livestock and this has been greatly reduced however it seems anything I do hurts! Anyone else with similar experience please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

That sounds like nerve pain and is fairly normal . Are you wearing a breast compression bra? That should help. Recovery can be at least 3 months after surgery.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Marina - it is reassuring - the reason I worry is that whenever I tell my surgeon she just sounds very puzzled by it....8 weeks' in I am still hurting but more so as the day goes on - some days I am fine until around 4pm - I imagine it is when I have been moving around most of the day.... I do wear a compression bra and this does help but sometimes I have to take it off for a while as this relieves pressure too! it is quite puzzling to be honest but I am definitely getting there - I am never completely out of pain that's for sure....it varies from barely noticeable to pretty bad! All the advice I have been given by surgeons and on medical websites says things to the contrary ie 'you can start going back to the gym around 6 weeks'; 'back to work 2-3 weeks'; etc. Anyway I am supposedly healing incredibly well so that is a bonus. Thank you!

• Posted

I always say double the recovery time that any Consultant gives you. We are all different with different healing times. Hope it all calms down eventually

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.