Breastfeeding and Oxy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Forum- Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but will give it a shot. Husband here. My wife has been breastfeeding out almost 19month old since she has been born. It has gotten down to only nighttime and nap time feedings. My question for the group. My wife has been on 30mg Oxy since she gave birth and takes a lot of them. 7-8 per day. We just checked her into a detox and now I am at home with our baby. So I have to worry about withdrawals or anything with our daughter?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yadeed.

Not sure about breastfeeding mate but, I was addicted to this stuff for around 9yrs & it destroyed my life.

I was on 1500mgs per day at the end. Been free of it now for 2yrs but still getting side effects.

It is Heroin so, I would seek advice from midwife or Dr to be honest.

Hope all is well with you, your wife & your daughter.

Good luck

Ritchie

• Posted

Breastfeeding while taking Oxy's for a short period of time or a long period of time, can and most likely will cause withdrawal in the baby.   The baby has been getting a steady supply of opiates for 19 months now.  The baby may become restless, cry a lot and may not feed as well because of tummy problems.  I would suggest to talk to the baby's doctor, as if the baby is uncomfortable, their is medication they will be able to give her/him to make her/him feel better.   Do not be scared to talk to the baby's doctor about this, as the mother is in treatment and the baby is now in your care.  You will not get in any kind of "trouble", they will just help detox the baby in a more comfortable way.  Best wishes to you, your baby and the mother..

• Posted

Thank you for your reply to Yadeed Sweetmelissa, that's exactly what I wanted to say to Yadeed but, you worded it so very much better than I did!!!

So thank you

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Thank you both for your responses. I will call the doctor today and see if I can speak with her. It has been about 24hrs so far and she doesn’t seem like she is having issues. My wife was only breastfeeding 1-2 times a day towards the end so hopefully it was almost like a tapering down for our daughter since when she was born she was breastfeeding around the clock. My wife was taking a out 6-7 30mg a day so we are glad she is getting help. 
    • Posted

Hi Yadeed.

You're very welcome my friend.

Very much worth checking out as it is very much an evil drug that totally takes over & destroys your life, before you know it, you're taking more & more & more of the stuff as it is basically legal Heroin!!

I hope all turns out well for you, your wife & your Baby

Ritchie

• Posted

Yes Yadeed your baby COULD suffer withdrawal symptoms,(other group members have told you some symptoms & you need to be observant as little ones can't tell you how they feel) so ask a Dr. about the specifics & if you need to do anything as a PREVENTATIVE and/or what to do IF/WHEN she shows symptoms!! NEVER be afraid to ask questions, there is no rule book for parenting....God Bless you for having the bravery to ask a difficult question for your baby's health....I wish you both all the best, hopefully your wife can get through rehab & you all get to have a happy healthy family...there are people who will help you, that care & THIS was a good place to start💟?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.