Breathlessness and dizzy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been very breathless and dizzy for the last couple of months. I had a history of heart disease since 1992 but after bypass surgery I have been quite well and up until a month ago I was dancing singing and playing my clarinet in an orchestra. I have had an echo, Xray, blood tests for all sorts and all has shown nothing. I am on levothyroxine and since December last I have been on clopidogrel which I have to take until December 2016. I take my levo about two to three hours before breakfast and my clopidogrel four hours later along with nebivolol and ramipril. I take atorvastatin at night. I have been reasonably well until suddenly a month ago I am very breathless even taking a shower requires help. I cannot understand such a drastic change in such a short space of time. Anybody has any ideas. GPs are not helpful.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary.Have you had an ECG? 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I had an ECG about the same time it all started but the GP said there is no change from the last one six months ago when I did not have the problems
    • Posted

Are you breathless all the time more or less, or do  you have phases when you're not too bad?

Also, have you noticed at all that you can feel your heart racing ,like palpitations, especially when you're feeling out of breath?

It may be that you're getting runs of irregular heart beat which can cause you to become out of breath and  lower blood pressure, causing dizziness. It's called Atrial fibrillation or AF and is very common. It wouldn't show on an ECG unless it was happening at the time.Maybe this is what you take nebivolol for. It's not a Betablocker that I'm familiar with, but reading about it it it does say it can cause those symptoms and it looks like it can interact with a lot of different meds and herbal meds. Have you started taking any tablets from a health food shop?

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your BP is dropping too low. Sometimes as we get older our body gets less efficient at maintaining BP when we move around and sometimes a change in medication is needed.

Do you still see a cardiologist?

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to investigate and get in touch. No I am not breathless all the time. Maybe about 4 attacks during the day. They last for about 1 minute. Most of the time I am okay. But when they happen it is very debilitating and scary as I just cant any air in my lungs and I struggle. I had angioplasty in December and since then I have been on clopidogrel which I have to take for a year. I do have a lovely cardiologist and I saw him in June but no mention of drug clashing. He thinks that one of my arteries is totally blocked and that is the reason for the probs. I have been on nebivolol for a long time. I also take levothyroxine 50mg one a day. Try to take it two or three hours before breakfast and do not take all meds at the same time. I take my clopidogrel at about 10.00am, my nebivilol at 12.00, my ramipril at 2.00 and statins at night. I also have ezetimibe which I take any time in the day. That one makes me extremely bloated. I wish I couls stop it!!!. I am mostly dizzy when I bend down.

Thank you so much 

• Posted

Happy to help. I think when we see the Doc's and have "one off" tests like BP recording and ECG etc it's just a snapshot of what might be going on throughout the day. I have runs of irregular hearbeat associated with breathlessness and have had 4 ECG's and all normal, because when they do them I'm not having the irregular heartbeat! My BP is usually low,even at the GP's and when I bend down and then lift my head back up I go dizzy and I'm sure that's my BP, but of course I can't take it right then because it's gone in a minute or so. The only thing that I can think might be to ask to have 24hr ECG  and BP recording,but if your cardilogist hasn't suggested this for your symptoms then I guess he doesn't think it's needed. Horrible feeling being dizzy and off balance though. Don't think people appreciate what it's like unless they have it.

• Posted

I had a hemeragic stroke less than six months ago ,i take a polethera of pills which some of which the side affects are shortness of breath.

And dizziness. Look at your pills and see if maybe you to have side affect. Hope this helps good bless feel better😌

• Posted

Thanks Nathan. I believe the clopidogrel may be the culprit but they wont take me off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.