Brief Vision Loss?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, just a follow up from my question about CJD. A lot of the symptoms have improved. I only ever get slight jerks in muscles and I can do things perfectly without much difficulty. The only issue now that has arisen happened today when my vision suddenly blacked out for a second. I noticed it when doing photo editing and so far it has only happened once today. What do you guys think is the reason for this? Research indicates that anxiety can cause it, but I don't know what else could be related to a transient event like this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are worrying unnecessarily again... I have had odd tinging all over my body for the past two days but this could be due to anything: tiredness, stress, low vitamin levels, PMS, anything, it doesn't mean it is serious.

You need to stop being so overly aware of bodily sensations as you will really make yourself ill if you continue. I'm sure it was nothing with your vision. A tempoerary blip, tiredness, looking at a screen for too long or something.

I had odd episodes of not remembering things when withdrawing from diazapem. and have suffered amnesia since my head injury nearly two years later, and I was convinced it was dementia or something. But I don't dwell on it as there is no point and it isn't dementia; just a side effect of the previous head injury.

You don't need to worry.. you are FINE.

• Posted

Thanks Nikki, went back to the doctor as well and he told me the same thing. He asked me about the vision loss and we did a number of tests. One of them was the usual extra pyramidal tests with testing of muscle strenght. The next was tandem gait (didn't even do that on the first visit on Tuesday), then a bunch of balancing tests. The only oddity was that when we did a sight test, he asked me to list out a set of letters on the board with one eye covered. I did nearly perfectly with my right eye (apart from mistaking an H for a Y), but my left eye could only identify the large to medium sized letters clearly while the rest were barely legible. The doctor didn't really seem to be concerned, noting that the letters were small, but stating that I should get an eye exam (my brother constantly badgers me a lot about this, even forcing me to do a simple test by listing out the letters and numbers on license plates which was a few years ago). 

So yeah, I think I'm fine. I haven't actually experienced any new vision problem except for some on and off eye twitching. Thank you for taking the time to answer me, I know it's a bit frustrating when it comes to CJD since fear of the illness is only really rational on a philosphical level (as in, what can kill me in the near term). 

• Posted

When you say blacked out, it literally became black in front of your eyes? I had something like this many years ago but in my case my field of vision on my right eye became smaller due to white spots on the far right side of my field of vision. That lasted an hour or so.Strange enough my right side of my body is what causes most of my problems. Headaches, strange feeling in my right leg once in a while, muscle twitching etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.