broken clavical

Posted , 2 users are following.

When i was riding in whistler i crashed and broke my clavical (collar bone) it was not displaced but it was broken all of the way through i was told by 1 doctor that i should wear my sling till it stops hurting and i was not allowed to go riding for 4 weeks and another said wear the sling for 3 weeks and i cannot ride for 8 weeks and now im being tolled by someone my mom works with i need to wear it for 6 weeks and no riding for 12 weeks i will post some x rays in aswell, but how long should i wear it for and how long till i can ride.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZQZHxs7eczcGxCNlV2aTk5RXdSdjRMNGJYNUxsVUQ0MmY0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ZQZHxs7eczVDRDTTlzQXdfVEhtSmlub0I4ZHowbGF0dXpr

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is quite a bad break so dont be hasty in wanting to take off the sling and getting back on the bike or you will have more problems.   I would say your Mums friend has given you the best advice but I would also say stay off that bike for 16 weeks.   Are you in UK?   You should be given some physio to get your arm working again properly.      To aid healing dont rest your elbows on the table, After 4 weeks let your arm hang loose by your side and move it VERY gently. If no pain then take the sling off for 5 minutes . Gradually leave off the sling for an extra 5 mins per day,and do that exercise
    • Posted

I am in canada and i am not willing to miss a competition i am going to go to in september i will wear my sling the whole time before that but i have been waiting years for this and i have been told i would be able to go this did happen 2 weeks ago if that helps
  • Posted

Forgot to say,while you arm is in the sling then try to move your wrist and wriggle your fingers a little each day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.