Bronchiectasis & Colitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone else have Bronchiectasis and ulcerative colitis or any other inflammatory bowel conditions???

I believe there is a link but not found anyone else with the two yet...

Please let me know if you do x

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Yes I have Crohn's Disease and Bronchietasis. I have heard that there may be a link also. I am having tests to find out the cause of my Bronchietasis in a few days so it will be useful to know. smile

• Posted

Hi

So was your crohns diagnosed 1st then you started having chest problems after/later? Or did you have any chest problems 1st?

Let me know what they the cause of it is. How did you get it diagnosed? I've spoken to quite a few docs about all my chest complaints and been ignored and told to live with them! But this was before I read about the link and found out about bronchiectasis. I had a few chest scans and xrays after my pulmonary embolism in 2007 to check it hadn't happened again when I had chest pain oneday and those tests where all fine so I don't know if that means I don't have it as I read they can diagnose it from scans but would they see it if they wernt looking for it and was it too early then?!!

So many questions! I speak to doc again!

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Crohn's first (took years for diagnoses and I believe I had Crohn's since childhood. 1 year or so later I was finally diagnosed with Bronchiectasis which I also believe I had for years also. I have always had chest problems and my chest x-ray was always abnormal and they suspected TB which was negative but they couldn't think of what else it could be. After a bronchosopy (spelling mistake I know) and a CT Scan it was finally diagnosed. CT Scan is a true confirmation that you have Bronchiectasis.

My consultant who was doing investigations recently has said he does not believe my Crohn's and Bronchiectasis is linked. He believes I have Bronchiectasis because when I was 6 months old I had measles and my health went downhill from there with numerous chest infections and I was put on antibiotics for a long time. He took special tests (blood and for cystic fibrosis) and I get the results end of this month.

I would suggest you arm yourself with research and ask the consultant to test you, for example lung fuction tests, blood tests bronchoscopy etc. Make sure they listen to you and that you are not to be brushed off. It took years for me to get a diagnoses and now I am nearly 29 and have finally got the answers. I had problems from a young age and it is tiring when they just don't know what is happening. Push your doctor and good luck. Let me know how things go.

• Posted

Well seen docs a few more times and they believe I just get inflammation in my chest when I get a flare of colitis. They said it's not bronchiectasis as although symptoms can come and go in severity, they would always be able to hear it or see it even if I'm feeling well. So as chest sounded fine and my scans were fine it can't be which is good.

Good luck in your future health x

• Posted

Yes I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

[quote:91088b0847=\"Kim2009 \"]Hi there,

Yes I have Crohn's Disease and Bronchietasis. I have heard that there may be a link also. I am having tests to find out the cause of my Bronchietasis in a few days so it will be useful to know. smile[/quote:91088b0847]

• Posted

[color=green:66618d577b][/color:66618d577b]

i also have bronchiectisis and i.b.s. i was told by a doctor in hospital that they could possibly be related

i find that i bring up a lot of sputem after i have eaten a meal. anybody else experiance the same?? :wink:

• Posted

I also suffer from mild bronchiectasis and IBS. I've had IBS for years, though, and bronchiectasis only from last year after serious pneumonia.

I do seem to get bouts of feeling extremely tired. I didn't know tiredness was a symptom of bronchiectasis until I read the previous articles. IBS also makes me terribly tired, too. I have been in bed resting for three days and just got up today. My IBS shows itself as very painful muscle spasms. During these tired spells I do seem to cough more but not an actual infection.

No, I don't bring up more sputum after a meal, but feel sleepy so lie down, which is a good way of postural draining the sputum,which I do once or twice a day anyway, so kill two birds with one stone by resting afterwards.

I only produce about 3 oz (75g) sputum. What do other mild bronchiectasis sufferes bring up?

So interesting to hear the comments of all you people. smile

• Posted

Just something to watch:  I recently fell asleep while doing, for the first time, postural drainage.  I had rinsed my sinuses first and then used the nebulizer with sodium chloride before laying on a wedge. I fell asleep and when I got up, I was totally congested with blocked ears that lasted for 3 weeks.  Ended up going on prednisone to get swelling to go down in my eustachian tubes.  It is finally gone, but ENT wants to see me again due to some concern about hearing. 

My suggestion:  don't do the postural drainage when you are exhausted tired.  

• Posted

Hi I've just seen your comment. I've had bronchiectasis for 61 years. I was diagnosed at 9 months old. I was diagnosed last year with collangeous colitis and inflammatory arthritis this year.

• Posted

I have Bx and have had bouts of Irritable Bowel in times of great stress.  I have pretty much helped myself quite a bit with the bowel problems, such as constipation and abdominal pain by taking 50 billion probiotic every day.  I can't tell you how many times I took an antibiotic because the doctors thought the abdominal pain might be diverticulitis. Once I went over to the higher probiotic, the pain went away and no further problem there. I wish I knew that 30 years ago.  I  was taking what I thought was a probiotic from Trader Joe's...something to the tune of 2 billion which is nothing and not enough strains.  I swear by the higher  probiotic and have everyone taking them, including my husband whose mother had serious collitis.  I am sure it would have helped her is she were alive today. In his case, I am trying to beat what could be an issue due to genes. I think collitis may be stress related, but not sure. Anyway, we are firm believers in probiotic.  One last thing....with probiotics, you need to change them (strains / brand) every month in order for it to work well. A nutritionist told that to my daughter and I am passing it on.  I do that and have been successful with it.  You can get good probiotics at the health food stores.  I would try the health food store  first before you try to find the best one on your own. With constipation, you may still need fiber tablets or Miralax, but the probiotic will calm things down for you.  Blessings to you and I hope this post helps you and anyone who suffers with abdominal pain or constipation. It is worth a try and it is cheaper than getting a ct scan. 

I am not a health professional by any means, but I have been through a great deal of meds before getting the best advice on probiotics. 

• Posted

Cutting a long story short, I'm female 50yrs.... I had a pulmonary embolism 24yrs ago..... Suffered with what I was told was ibs for the past 19yrs. Had very bad flu 2yrs ago resulting with bronchiectasis. Now had severe pains that I can't control and been told I have ibd..... Waiting to find out if it's uc or cd. Which leaves me thinking, did I have ibs all those yrs ago...... Cuz my lung consultant last wk said its normally cd/uc then bronchiectasis...... So I don't know if I was misdiagnosed. Also suffering (past 8mths) with sore skin rashes behind both ears, on both eyelids & both sides of the groin. Also mild fatty liver disease.

• Posted

Hello, I am an MD in France. There is an association between colitis and bronchiectasis. I have published on that. Can I help ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.