Bulbar structure 2.5cm

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi guys, i am 27 years old, i have had a burning sensation when i pee for as long as i could remember , i had a urethotomy in feb 2017 with good results and it started to slowly come back and now here i am 2021 with a flow rate of 8ml/s

my stricture was 2.5cm proximal bulbar 9fr which is located 2cm below the rhabdosphincter.

i am from australia, ideally i would want to do the optilume procedure before going into a urethoplasty however only NZ and Canada currently offer this, i am happy to travel to nz but not sure which urologists offer?

also regarding my stricture and location / size is a end to end possible or a substitute?

i have 3 urologist appointments set for the next couple of weeks to get multiple opinions.

looking to hear for opinions here.

thank you everyone.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Were you self dilating following your Urethrotomy? Do you have any urine retention now?

• Posted

no self dilation

urine retention... i assume so given lower than normal flow rate and i need to pee multiple times a day..

• Posted

just wondering something as i have been experiencing what i believe to be a stricture...i urinate at least every hour of the day and want to know the reason why urethral strictures cause frequent urination... is it because the stricture causes blockage which make it hard to fully empty the bladder or is it the stricture scar tissue thats just physically making you pee a lot?

please advise, your input is greatly appreciated.

• Posted

Were you not asked to self-dilate after Urethrotomy? Because self-dilation massively reduces chance of recurrence.

1. 2.5 cm bulbar stricture cannot be fixed by end-end surgery. If it is done that way, you will suffer from a lot of post-surgery complications. Substitution is the only option.

2. Optilume procedure should be be able to easily fix your problem, but there aren't good/feasible studies about its long-term safety on patients.

• Posted

from memory i didnt even have a catheter in post surgery.

all reports i have seen mention self cath (cath in general) causes the stricture to become more pronounced.

unfortunately im yet to find a urologist in nz that does optilume, can anyone shed some light?

• Posted

Contact the customer support in their website. They will respond to your email in a few days. Ask them where this procedure is available in New Zealand. And btw, I think it is quite expensive there. Costing as much as 6000 NZD.

• Posted

Do you have burning sensation when you pass urine? Does your semen feel blocked when you ejaculate? Share all your symptoms. I can give you a rough diagnosis. It could be bladder neck obstruction, enlarged prostrate or urethral stricture.

• Posted

theres no burning sensation and semen seems to flow out normally... the only concerning symptoms are the frequent urination and urine dribbling after urination...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.