Bulimia Relapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 31 yr old male. I have had Bulimia on and off for a few year. It was triggered in my mid 20's. I was fairly overweight in my early 20's and i met a partner. I felt like i needed to change and get myself *healthier* so i dieted for around 5 month straight and had zero issues. I dropped 4 stone in weight overall and at the start looked *worse* but after stop dieting my body started to fill out slightly ' My face looks less Guant etc and i was very happy. In this period i had zero Bulimia urges. I then carried on around about the weight i had dropped to and felt very happy. My eating pattern was good and i was healthy.  I dont remember exactly how my Bulimia started but im sure it was due to fear of going back to that old me that was overweight. So i started to purge to keep my weight down.

I then got into fitness after i had to get a knee cartlidge surgery. I had a torn knee cartlidge and the nurse says to me if you keep your legs strong and in shape then you wont ever suffer any problems later in life.... So i joined a local gym.  I was managing to keep a good diet and completely transformed my physique.

Over the years i have had Bulimia on and off. I have went months without binging and purging and then i relapse and im back to the start. I recently started to binge and purge again and this time its VERY strong and im struggling to grasp it again. I went to my GP around 5 weeks ago and was just honest and i explained everything to her. She has tried me on medication (Doesn't work sadly) so she says i will refer you to an eating disorder clinic. I need to add in. My partner has zero clue about my eating disorder. I hide it very well. My GP referred me and the eating disorder clinic sent me a very specific letter to my home and i *just* managed to hide this and i panicked and cut cords with the clinic and my initial appointment as i want to do it in the background at the moment until i start to feel like i am getting a grip of things again. Im not ready to tell my partner. I am very embaressed about what i do. I know thats the worst thing to think but i genuinely am very embaressed and if my partner was to find out i reckon i would run away sad Just opening up to a GP was very hard but i want help. I dont want to live with this Illness for the rest of my life. I have been binging purging for the last 3 months with a few days break randomly inbetween this period. These breaks are where i write up a meal plan and *try* stick to it but after a few days my urges come back STRONGER than ever and i relapse. I feel like i am spinning my wheels and cant get myself stable.

Im 5 foot 9 and 31 year old. I try and hit around 3200 calories. I fear gaining the weight but i know i need to eat over and above what i burn and let my body know thiers not a famine happening. But Yesterday i woke up and had a very nice breakfast and i eat a big breakfast also to try and remove my binge urge. I feel absolutely no bulimia urges at all but fast forward to around 6 oclock. Even after breakfast & snacks a large lunch etc the Bulimia hits me hard and i came home and binge'd on a ton of food and purged. I was so angry and guilty with myself. I still had the urge to binge on LOADS more but after dinner which i had packed out with veggies ' Meats ' Carbs etc just to keep nutrition in my body and plenty potassium etc  i fought to keep this dinner down as i knew i needed this nutrition in my body and i held on after eating that dinner.  I want to eat normal again and not have this demon in my mind. I want to be healthy and normal but this has a grip of me very strongly this time. With me doing fitness i know nutrition is key to growth and progress but i cant seem to get a hold of it this time. The hunger signals my brain is sending is beyond strong.  I can easily binge on 8000 calories just to feel satisfied to which i get that guilt and i end up purging.  

Any advice?  Im showing some very serious health issues. Chest Pains' Numb hands and feet every night that wakes me up ' Mouth throat all raw from the stomach acid's ' Constantly cold hands and feet ' Anxiety etc

I have recontacted my GP and have an appointment rescheduled (Its 2 weeks away though). Now that i have opened up to them im not embaressed to go and speak to them again and start the ball rolling once more. I need the help and if i dont do it now i could really give myself health problems which i dont want.

Any advice on what i could do?

I have tried structured eating and incorporating high fats in the diet. I also add in foods that i would stray away from usually to try and stop the major urges for these foods.

I feel like i cant get a hold this time. Everyday i wake up i keep saying ok today i will focus on just keeping everything down. What happens is when i eat breakfast or lunch etc my body becomes frantic for more food. I have even done 24 hour fasts before just so i can do a massive one meal at night just so i cover all the nutrients i need and also to feel satisfied with the amount of food i am getting at that sitting.

Thanks guys and thank you for listening in and any help would be greatly appreciated

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee

I thought I might gave some info that could help. I had bulimia for 5 years in my 20's. It was hell and i understand what you are going through. In the end I realised that my urge to binge was a carb and sugar addiction. I dropped grains (except rice) and sugar and after the initial feelings of the devil trying to drag me back under I succeeded. Please keep going. You sound like a beautiful person who has a lot to offer the world. Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.