Bumps & drainage after vaginal prolapse surgery, how long does it take for those to go away?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello, I recently had a cystocele corrected with a sacro spinous ligament attachment. I have a spinal cord injury & am paralyzed from the waist down (happened 24 years ago) & I’m also 42 years old. My paralysis played a role in the prolapse as I’ve never had children. The surgery was tough, to say the least. I had a hemorrhoidectomy done right after the prolapse surgery for grade 4 internal prolapsed hemorrhoids. Both of the surgeons weren’t sure how much pain I’d feel. Oh boy did I feel pain. Yes it was dulled because I’m paralyzed but still was bad enough where I sobbed from the pain after just waking up from the surgery & after I got home I cried every time I had to make a transfer into my wheelchair, into bed, or onto my toilet seat or shower bench which both have circular cutouts & puts downward pressure on the area. I also had to lift both my legs with my arms, & I tried not to strain but I had no choice. Moving my body was also technically lifting. The doctor used more stitches than usual & more permanent ones than what’s normal for this procedure, because he knew how much lifting I had to do. The stitches have held in place as far as I know. I’m 5 weeks post op & it’s still a struggle for sure. The hemorrhoidectomy pain has also been horrific & if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t have done the surgeries at the same time.

Today I noticed 4 large bumps on the upper part of the opening to my vagina (looks like 4 dice sized lumps next to each other) & I panicked, thinking I was now deformed. Then a Google search brought me to this forum & I learned from another poster that it’s just swelling thank goodness.

Does anyone know how long the swelling usually lasts & how long it took for your vagina to look “normal”? I want to start dating again but things just look odd down there, not like the normal ridged appearance on the top wall of the vagina that I had before the prolapse happened. Also, the drainage hasn’t calmed down, one day it’s not a lot & the next day there’s a ton. It also smells odd, it’s not infected but someone on social media said in a video diary that her drainage after prolapse surgery smelled like cabbage & I tend to agree. How long did it take everyone for the drainage to stop & normal discharge to start? Thank you again if you read this far & for reading through all the TMI!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.