Bunion, hammer toe surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've had bunion/ Hammertoe surgery July 1st 2021. I'm in NZ. I'm 70. its seems recovery after surgery is different to what I've read on here. I had two nights in hospital and was put in a plaster cast to my knee. I was sent home with a hire knee scooter to get around in the house, which was great as I had to stay in plaster for 6 weeks and put no downward pressure on my foot.. After one week they put on another permanent plaster. I had a nerve block put in during surgery that didn't wear off for 48 hours which was great no pain. I must admit I've had very little if any pain since.

plaster was removed after 6 weeks everything had healed well and stitches were disolvable so that was good. still had swelling. From there I've had to wear a moon boot which I'm suppose to wear for 6 weeks, it goes to just below my knee, could remove it to sleep or sitting with my leg up. Had some physio and was shown excercises to do.

After 3 weeks in that thing, I stopped wearing it around the house and only wear when I'm outside or going out. I have good mobilityin my toes and foot. wear a soft scuff slipper at home, I have no pain and can walk quite well. swelling is down when I get out of bed in morning, but almost as soon as my feet hit the floor, I can feel it swelling.

I go back to surgeon on 4th October which will be 6 weeks with boot, so ill see what he suggests next.

I have found the operation nothing its been easy, the recovery is the worst, the 6 weeks in plaster. will post again after I've been back to my surgeon.

I still have the other foot to be done yet.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.