Burning Pain on top of arms

Posted , 4 users are following.

The skin on my arm tops are so sensitive It's painful to have even a long sleeve sweater it a jacket touch my skin. It's a sharp pain and its there all the time from elbow to hand tops. A doctor told me it was fibromyalgia. I have had fibromyalgia for years and have been taking Elavil generic for it. But this just started since last November. I was taking cordisone injections for my knees, then wrist when I broke it in November. However Cordisone made my skin very thin on my hands and arms so I had to stop it. Now I don't have anything to get rid of this pain. Does anyone else have arm top skin pain due to Fibromyalgia?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have an area above one ankle that is extremely sensitive. That is a burning sensation. I can't bear to wear socks or trousers unless they are very loose, and the lightest duvet feels as though it is crushing me, and setting my leg on fire when I go to bed. I have had phlebitis several times and thought it was that, but I saw a phlebologist and he said it was an infection and it would clear up with antibiotics. Nothing has worked, 2 years later it's still burning, and has become very discoloured. Obviously not every health problem is as a result of fibromalgia, we will contunue to have other illnessess too. When I asked my doctor what I could do for the pain he said that the treatment I have for the fibromalgia (oxycontin) was a strong pain killer, and there was nothing else I could do. When I read the other replies here in the forum, I see that lots of other patients have pins and needles, sharp pains, burning sensations etc, so it is probably all part of the package of problems that come with this illness. When I first had strange symptoms no-one believed me. I felt as though my shoulder was being burned with a hot iron. Just for a few seconds each time, and afterwards it would be cold and numb and I could stick a needle in the spot and feel absolutely nothing. This went on for years, always the same place on my shoulder. Now that area itches so much I feel as though I need to rip my skin off. The next thing that happened was sharp shooting pains in my joints. In an ankle then a knee then an elbow, then a sensation of having a screwdriver turning in my hips. I tried to explain this to my GP. I could not understand how a pain could move around my body, going from place to place in a flash. I always thought that pain was a reaction to a problem in a certain area. Since then I have read several excellent books on Fibromalgia, and they all list migratory pain as one of the early symptoms. It didn't help the pain certainly but it helped me to know that I wasn't going mad, the pain really was moving around my body, (or at least my perception of the pain) What really hurt was people saying "pain can't move around, It's all in the mind" I was in agony, they could see that I couldn't walk, or move without great difficulty, but they thought I was imagining it. I had never heard of fibromalgia myself until about a year ago, it's a great pity that there aren't more articles in magazines to try to enlighten people so that they are more understanding, but also to help us to get diagnosed at the earliest opportunity. I hope you find something to help your pain, constant pain is so hard to live with. I feel quite depressed sometimes, knowing that for the rest of my life it will be just one problem after another with no hope of ever being pain-free and energetic like I was before. I feel so sorry for you. With your problems in your arms and wrists your life is probably more difficult than mine, so I know I shouldn't complain nor feel sorry for myself. Good luck with finding something that helps you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.