Burning sensation and numbness

Posted , 4 users are following.

OK so it's been 6 weeks post op Achilles surgery. Has anyone experienced a constant burning sensation in their heel, burning sensation upon contact with anything, and numbness in their foot and/or toes? Also how painful is PT?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have had a painful heel and PT told me that was from body telling me that it's not ready to be walked on as much...... Pffftttt what do they know lol

Ask had some burning kinda sensation the side of ankle and doc said was more nerve damage. Comes and goes so I put up with it and just rest and goes away

• Posted

Hi Raven,

I am 6 weeks and 4 days post op and have not experienced any burning sensation in my heel.  What I noticed for me was that I had like a stinging feeling in the area where the stitches were.  My foot swells whenever I walk on it and that's with or without the boot.  My p/t said that swelling is normal and will eventually stop.  I have to say that p/t is helping me tremendously.  I was put on PWB by my surgeon and have been wearing the boot.  Yesteday I noticed that I can walk without being stooped over when I get out of bed.  Everytime I got up out of bed or out of a chair I would have a stiff pain in my knee and had to take lil steps in order to walk.  My p/t said that was being caused by the boot.  The surgeon wants me weaned off the boot by the end of this week.  I hope I can because I just can't take it anymore.  

P/T is painful in the sense that you are working on something that hasn't been used since surgery but its nothing you can't handle.  It's a good pain!

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks out and my primary pain is the burning sensation! Anything that touches it, and I mean anything, causes it to burn and sting! I have to be in this boot for 6 more weeks! Ugh!

• Posted

I don't have to sleep in the boot anymore, but im still having the burning sensation. Are your toes still numb?

• Posted

I wonder how long this burning will last? I can even stand the bandages to touch it, much less that darn boot!! Sleeping is just impossible! Have u tried pain meds to see if it helps the burn? I haven't but I'm willing to try!

• Posted

No I haven't tried pain meds. I figure it's a burning sensation due to the nerves being disturbed, not necessarily throbbing pain so pain meds won't help. I'm really concerned about my foot and toe numbness after 3 months.

• Posted

Oh and the burning has kept me awake for 24 hours a couple if times. It's crazy.

• Posted

I think I'm going to try anpain pill today and just see what happens. Can't hurt but might not help 😏

• Posted

Donna the more I thought about it. I did take a pain pill because of the Burning and it didn't work for me. That's why I never tried again. That was right after my surgery. Let me know if helps you.

• Posted

I honestly think that it did help some. I could still feel the burn but it didn't seem as intense. Could have just been coincidence though, who knows??

• Posted

I went to Physical Therapy last night and asked my therapist about this very thing.   Lately I have been experiencing a burning/stinging feeling around my tendon area.  She said that it was because of nerves that got damaged from the surgery.  I was like wow I'm going to write here when I get to work today.  She also said that its likely that it would happen for a while but that it was normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.