Butrans patches

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all - Question or advice please im on 5mg of Butans Patches once a week for cronic pain in hands and arms. However the patch is making me very sleepy. Ive been on it for 6 weeks now and apart from itching where the patch is this is the only other side effect ive had. My question is when i spoke to my GP about this 2 weeks ago he said its the Morpine in the patch making me feel like this. Can anyone tell me if it goes overtime. While the patch has killed 80% of my pain it makes me wonder if this is anysort of answer.? With thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

As your body becomes tolerant to opiates the sleepiness will subside. The patches are a particularly strong form of opiate, so if you've not taken them before I'd expect the exact side effects you've mentioned.

As time passes your body may become so tolerant that you'll need to increase to dosage to get the same pain killing effects. It can be a dangerous cycle whereby you're needing more and more. You should read up on opiates and tolerance to get a better picture. Once you're aware of this though it is less likely as forewarned is forearmed.

• Posted

Hi there,

I am on 20mg and at first I felt really tired. I started with 5 then 10 the 15 and now 20mg. They all made me sleppy in the begining and my skin is still inchy under the patch.  But as we are all different I can only say, it took me about 2 months before I didn't feel really sleepy.  I still feel tired, but not just as bad.  Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Posted

I hope this helps a bit. The itching can b due 2 u being alergic or just a side effect like I used to get from perks. I would go to Google or webmd to research it, doctors are most the time not informed right. 1 of mine gave me a pill and he said i was his first patient to get that side effect but when i looked it up it was in the top 5 side effects. Good luck also b wise on the news just now they are trying to take opiates off the market try a Novacane patch i get them for my bck they work really good with no side effects not even a numbing feeling...

Butrans skin patches contain buprenorphine, an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic. The Butrans skin patch is for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe chronic pain that is not controlled by other medicines.

Butrans skin patches contain buprenorphine, an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic. The Butrans skin patch is for around-the-clock treatment of moderate to severe chronic pain that is not controlled by other medicines.

WebMD › butrans-transdermal › details

This medication is used to help relieve severe ongoing pain (such as due to arthritis, chronic back pain).

BUTRANS - buprenorphine patch, extended release. Purdue ..... The total dose from both patches should not exceed 20 mcg/hour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.