calf and hamstring pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a male 54 year old, i am having leg pain from few years, before it use to go away if i take vitamin d tablets for few days, but now even i take enough vitamin d and calcium it is not going. Now i have pain mainly in calf and hamstring on a daily mail.

I met various ortho drs and some of them suggested me leg strengthening exercises and physio help, which i m doing regularly, with that pain becomes less but still the some pain remains. And it becomes worse when i walk too much - 50-60 minutes a day or 30 minutes in a stretch. Anyone is there to inform me what to do. I will really appreciate any kind of suggestion or help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Magnesium deficiency can cause muscle aches or tendency to get cramps. Readily available in diet, but if you need a supplement take it at a different time of day than any calcium you might be taking. If calcium/magnesium balance gets out of whack it means excess of calcium will interfere with magnesium absorption. You can also try soaking in an epsom salts bath or footbath, as magnesium can be absorbed through the skin.

When you are at rest you could try massaging your legs to improve the circulation. I find if my legs get cold in the winter they start to ache a lot.

Another time I was having trouble with legs aching so much at night it would wake me up. I almost accidentally found out I was deficient in sodium! Not many people are, so if you want to investigate you should ask your doctor to check your electrolytes. My sodium level is now fine, and among other symptoms I seldom to never get the aching legs any more. I did check my sodium intake using a tool on the internet, even overestimating a bit, and found I was probably taking in less than 1000 mg a day, when even the fairly low recommended level is about 2000 per day. Apparently many of us in the Western world take in as much as 4000 a day. This is why I think you should have the blood test first, and also evaluate your diet, before altering salt intake at all.

• Posted

Its not the vitamin D tablets that make a difference for calf and hamstring pain. You need to massage these limbs and perhaps try a cold water towel. An ice pack does wonders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.