Calf Movement/Achilles Tendon Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello!

I had the minimal invasive surgery done about 2 and half weeks ago.  I started physical therapy last week.  exactly 2 weeks after surgery.  My exercises are to flex and point my foot etc.  however, i notice my calf does not move or contract anything at all.  is this normal at this point in the game? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would figure that you were immobilized for the 2 1/2" weeks after the surgery? If so then you probably have some atrophy in your calf. It should come back after your flexing but be sure to ask your therapist or call the doctor's office. Question for you - minimal invasive surgery, can you detail how that was done and what exactly you had done for the surgery? Thanks
    • Posted

I'd been immobilize for 17 days before surgery. Surgery was on day 17 and then first day of therapy was day 14 (after surgery). Today is now day day 18 after surgery or day 35 after initial injury.

I flex my ankle lightly but there is not a single ounce of movement in my calf. Is that weird at this point? Is it normal at this point? I have my 2nd and 3rd appt with PT this Wednesday and Friday.

• Posted

My comment is that there is no normal when it comes to this injury or recovery. So much depends on your personal healing rate. Also how high or low the original rupture was. Write all your questions down & ask your Doctor or Physio.

I go into each appointment with a written list of questions & it is very helpful.

Sorry not much help. Take Care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.