can acid reflux cause shakiness

Posted , 9 users are following.

after chewing gum last night which i know i probbly shouldnt do, i got slight stomach pains, slight nausea and i started to eventually feel shaky. not like a visible shaking but on the inside. i have been having bad anxiety all week so i would not be surprised if it is just anxiety but can acid reflux cause shakiness as well?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

This is the first time I am posting. I recently was diagnosed with Silent Reflux.

I thought you would be interested in the following study I found on WebMD, "Chewing Gum May Prevent Heartburn" https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/20030522/chewing-gum-may-prevent-heartburn.

I have a very dry throat. Chewing gum or sucking lozenges allows me to talk much more easily. It makes a huge positive difference for me.

I don't know about acid reflux leading to shakiness. Could it be a medicine? I think knowledge is power and the more we know about how we can an illness, the better we have a handle and the less anxious we become.

I know, the more I learn how I can proactively and positively handle my Silent Reflux, the less anxious I am. I don't know if this helps you.

• Edited

I have felt "shaky" on the inside mostly in my upper chest in the past. I now believe it was acid irritating my esophagus, but at the time I always thought I was getting sick or a sinus infection. Then it would pass and I would feel better. All my pH tests are "normal," but I tested positive for pepsin acid in my saliva, which comes up in aerosol form, and I have many symptoms indicative of silent reflux/LPR. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to treat it as doctors are not very helpful and just want to prescribe PPIs, which didn't help symptoms above the neck, i.e., ears, sore throat.

• Posted

@mel79101 as I wrote above, I am new to this.

Two books are helping me Dr. Jonathan Aviv's, The Acid Watcher Book and Dr. Jamie Koufman's Acid Reflux Diet.

It's given me a good handle, but it's a process.

I eat/drink Alkaline.

I use Alkaline water to wash any pepsin down

*I chew gum all the time, if I didn't do that, my voice would croak.

• Posted

I've had LPR since early this year and a sore throat on and off for most of the time. Gargling with salt water or baking soda and water helps if you do it several times per day.

• Posted

I know this is an old post but I have also found that reflux leaves me with a shaky almost overcaffienated feeling. It's one of the things I hate the most while trying to go off PPIS. I'm not sure what is the actual cause. I have read that dizziness can be caused by acid going into ears eustachean tubes. Wonder if could be related?

• Posted

Hey,

I have acid reflux right now and i am experiencing the same thing too. "Over caffeinated feeling" is the best way to describe it. Have you been able to resolve it and how?

How are you feeling now a days since I know you commented that 1 year ago.

• Posted

Yes, it can. I am not really sure if it us the condition itself or the anxiety that goes along with an episode but either way there is some possible link.

• Posted

I have a ton of anxiety too, and I think it’s what’s causing most of my symptoms. I can’t see a doctor because they won’t call me back. I was diagnosed by ENT and our local gastroenterology office has been taken over by a for-profit hospital. It’s terrible. But yes, I get the shakes and I am not sure if it’s lack of nutrition because of how limited my food intake has had to be or if it’s a symptom of LPR, or if it’s my anxiety. We are in the same boat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.