Can all ready exiting cellulitis turn into Necrotizing fasciitis?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had cellulitis for 3 weeks and it's not healing so well on oral antibiotics. But I was wondering if all ready existing cellulitis can devlope INTO Necrotizing fasciitis or if this is a different condition/type of cellulitis all together?

I am worried because of the amount of antibiotics i have to take and my weakened immune system... 

If anyone has any medical knowledge on this please help me.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

panda best thing is ask google not sure myself but it would not surprise me
  • Posted

I've tried to find info on google but it's apparently quite an odd question. 

• Posted

Hi. I am not medically qualified but all I can say is I had around 6 different types of antibiotics, oral to start with then iv in hospital then oral for another couple of months. Mine was misdiagnosed to start with so got a real hold in the system. I would say go for whatever antibiotics it takes so it sorts it out.
    • Posted

I'm sorry you had such a hard time with yours. What was it in the end, nectrotizing fasciitis?

• Posted

Hi

No-one could say anything other than cellulitis but couldn't understand why it had affected two legs. I remember Clarithromycin (I am allergic to Penicillin too) didn't work for me but I will try and find the name of the one I was discharged on and had to stay on a while as it kept firing up every time I came off it. X

• Posted

hi panda from what i read answer is yes but you want the doc a/e with their swabs to a culture to b e sure dont  get worried you would b really ill with that but if worried do what i said c u all

• Posted

Thank you smile Yes they did a swab. I have a staph aureus infection in my wound. I've been on antibiotics for over 3 weeks now. I'm allergic to penicillin potentially so they gave me clarithromycin. It's closing the wound up slowly but my cellulitis won't budge an inch. The swellings gone down but it's still red, warm and sore. 

• Posted

i was lucky each time had they put on flufloxacillian which which works  and you i can feel the difference in hoursi would be a bit miffed if body got  used to it sofar ok  it sounds simalar to me redness still there after year  but saying that leg looks ok the trouble is thiers no follow up clinic where you talk  to others with others with same prob and mite come with a different way of clearing it up if in doubt panda docs or a/e/er
  • Posted

Well, I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll get a different antibiotic to try :c But I'm glad yours is doing better. So do you still have the redness? What about the heat? 

• Posted

hi panda still have redness some days worse than others slightly warm but NOT RED HOT wow i am very weary of it legs always covered  outside any cracks in skin  one of the main things was athletes feet but i have really got on off it anti fungal cream clean and dry put on cream 3 times a day well worth it the effort  hope you get treated the way you want thanks for your reply iit does take time though do you hve any other probs with leg i have swollen legs so does not help let us know how you go on c u 
    • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about that. :c 

My doc has just took me off antibiotics because now she isn't sure if it is cellulitis. So I might have taken 4 weeks of antibiotics for nothing. 

But if it IS then I am at risk of it spreading and maybe turning into sepsis or something horrible.

I feel so helpless. 

• Posted

hi panda dont b getting in a state i know it can ba worry  so what are they giving you and what they saying it is you got something what they doing about  it ????????????? have you  got to go again for tests cu paul
  • Posted

Keep going back to doc with any change or feeling unwell and I took photos every night and every morning and showed them as mine used to look so different in colour and swelling shape.
  • Posted

Keep going back to doc with any change or feeling unwell and I took photos every night and every morning and showed them as mine used to look so different in colour and swelling shape.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.