Can any help with questions about Coeliac disease, Hypothyroidism, obesity and symptoms please.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I have come here to see if anyone can help.

My questions are:

Can you be obese and have coeliac disease?

Can Hypothyroidism be linked to coeliac disease?

Has anyone had a negative blood test and found out they have coeliac through an endoscope test?

I am currently being investigated for hypothyroidism but they can't fully diagnose as its not typical. They said they didn't think the results were correct so I paid for private testing. Which included testing my vitamin D and B12.

The results came back that I was very deficient in Vitamin D and my B12 was in range but on the low end. My calcium is deficient and other vitamins are on the low end. Including my ferritin.

About 12 years ago I had a miscarriage and doing some research I came across coeliac disease.

A lot of the symptom fitted and I still have them. I have loose stools everyday and at least once a week a bout of diarrhoea, with sharp painful cramps. I regularly have random bouts of nausea sometimes with vomiting. I have had anxiety and low mood for years. I have had brain fog for years and often have to drag myself out of bed and through the day. Lately I've been experiencing a lot of muscle aches and joint pain with stiffness. I am only 39 so I wasn't expecting to have so much pain getting up from the floor. I also get night sweats. The only symptom I don't have is weight loss. I am very overweight. 13st 9lb, 5 foot 3.

I asked to be tested 12 years ago but never heard back about the results. I also can't find the results on my patient app.

I assumed they were negative. So I have just been living with the symptoms but its only recently while researching hypothyroidism that the vitamin deficiency and other things are bringing me back to coeliac disease. I have also been getting stains on my teeth even though i only drink water and green tea. I'm having to go to the hygienist every few months to get the stains off.

I also have rosacea and had hyperemesis gravidarum in my pregnancies.

I am sorry this is so much information I've tried to make it as short as possible. I really appreciate any advice or information that can be given.

Thankyou Moviegeek13

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi moviegeek, like the name! I don't know quite what to say after reading your information a few times. I think you may be suffering more because of vitamin and iron deficiencies and not coeliac disease, something about what you say doesn't ring true with coeliac disease - the symptoms are different. I am coeliac and was only diagnosed as my bowel habits changed and i became extremely constipated to the point where I ended up in hospital a few times, with coeliac disease you often loose not gain weight initially as your bowel isn't absorbing what you are eating as your eating the wrong things without knowing! I switched diet completely overnight and all that changed for me. Can I ask, do you have extreme fatigue, diarrhoea and or sickness when you eat anything like pasta, bread or things like pizza, do you suffer from mouth ulcers or anything like that, do you have general bowel (not stomach) but also stomach problems when you eat, or just after? If you look at the coeliac.co.uk website it will tell you all the symptoms suffered by coeliacs. Coeliac disease is auto immune so has anyone in the family got it or arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or fibro? I think ask to speak to a dietitian if you think it would help, take vitamins and lots of food rich in iron and the sickness, dizziness etc may go away. As for hypothyroidism I honestly don't know much about it and can't help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.