Can anyone help me? Low Transferrin Saturation

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, I've just joined these forums to try and get an understanding of how I've been feeling lately.

A bit of my background

I've had constant headaches, dizziness, mild chest pain, heart palpitations and shortness of breath for around 5 years now. I have a high pressure job and put most of it down to stress.

I saw my doctor at the beginning of the year and he diagnosed depression and prescribed tablets.

I was on them for around 3 months but came off them as I didn't want to be on them.

He found a heart murmur too but that turned out OK. Some bloods were done and we're also OK.

I couldn't donate blood 9 months ago as my iron was low. I've just had an iron profile blood test done privately and the doctor reviewing them suggested I saw my GP. Results were:

Ferritin 53.8 (range 30.0 - 400.0)

Iron 12.5 (range 10.0 - 30.0)

TIBC 65.0 (range 45.0 - 81.0)

Transferrin Saturation 19.2 (range 25.0 - 45.0)

UIBC 52.5 (range 12.0 - 43.0)

I've got an appointment later, will take my results with me.

Has anyone experienced similar results and what was the treatment?

Whilst I don't want to be unwell I'm kind of hoping this might explain alot of my symptoms as I just want to feel better.

Many thanks for reading

Karl

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.