Can diet cure early onset rheumatoid arthritis?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey all. I'm 18 years old. For the better part of my life, I've been feeling a lot of pain in my joints whenever temperatures drop. Initially when I was younger it would only be in my wrists and I brushed it off and attributed it to the cold but then it just progressive got worse. Then from around last year I couldn't even touch things straight from the fridge because of the pain. Now I feel pain in all my joints in the mornings and nights when temperatures are lowered. As we speak, all my joints are aching vehemently as it is pretty early in the morning where I am. I went to the hospital yesterday and I had a pretty high ESR (49mm/h) but my R factor is non reactive. The doctor gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and painkillers and said I come back in two weeks. He also mentioned Rheumatoid Arthritis in passing and I kind of latched onto that and started doing more research. I should add that many of my family members struggle with some form of autoimmune issue.

Now, my mom is a holistic healing kinda person, doesn't believe in western medicine. So she doesn't think I should take the drugs and thinks I should instead follow a specific diet. She also doesn't believe that I could potentially have RA and is categorically against me seeing a rheumatologist, in the belief that western medicine is inherently cruel. I tend to agree with her in most cases but I'm feeling unsure about following her course of "treatment". However, she is adamant that it will work because food is medicine.

I don't really know what to do. I haven't taken the anti-inflammatories yet, only the painkillers. So my question is: can I fix these issues following a particular anti inflammatory food diet? Will the joint pain and the potential RA go away? Should I trust my mom on this?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.