Can everyone list what pain medications you are taking?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am wondering what your doctors prescibe to you through all this.

I am on 500mg of Naproxen one every 12 hours.

That's it.

It is not helping me.

Before that Mobic, that was no help either.

I also did the 6 day oral steroid pack, that did nothing but made he hungry.

I feel like none of that has worked and I still have a lot of pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen...I used to take Hydrocodone(Norco). It works well with my shoulder pain, I take every 4 hours as needed. Right now I dont take any pain meds because I don't have any more pain.  Sometimes very mild pain and I take OTC pain meds.  
  • Posted

I was on cymbalta and tramacet (at night). It worked soooo well. But then the cymblata triggered my colitis so had to stop. On day two of amitriptyline now. Hasn't started to help as of yet. Steroid injections did nothing.
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen:

I did use naproxen (also called aleve & is OTC in Canada.) I only used it short-term though and it didn't really work. For an anti-inflammatory I preferred Diclofenac Gel, which is the stronger prescription version of OTC Voltaren - to rub directly over the shoulder area.

For the very worst months - 3.5 of them - I took codeine, both long acting and breakthrough prescriptions, starting with the lowest doses. SO helpful. I could actually sleep some. A doctor explained that as long as we have pain, there are pain receptors to fit with the amount of narcotic - like two gears working together. The goal is to take only enough narcotic to fit the pain. (And of course with pretty much any narcotic like codeine, chances are you'll need a laxative too.)

And I've tried cortisone shots. The first shot was not likely effective because there were too many adhesions by the time I had it so it couldn't do its work properly, plus it was given in the clinic so maybe wasn't as accurate. The second shot (during thawing & guided this time into an obvious pocket) was very effective. I'm hoping for one in my second shoulder now which is having early signs of becoming a FS; cortisone is apparently helpful early on to stop the process.

So far no more pain though that the occasional OTC can't take care of.

Liane

• Posted

I am taking ibuprofin (600 mg 4x per day).  Most of the time, I feel like it's not helping at all, but I can tell when it wears off, so it must be doing something.   I briefly tried tramadol, but it made me so nauseous & dizzy, I didn't last more than a day.  I had 2 cortisone injections (one on each side - ma case is bilateral) with zero impact.  Not sure what to try next!
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen

I am taking Naproxen every 12 hours along with co-codomol 30/500mg at bed time does help a little. but i have now found that putting a cushion under my arm in bed does support my shoulder while i sleep. Give it a try.

i was going to give accupunture a try next as my last resort

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.