Can I drink on Acitretin???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I have suffered with P all my life as many of my Dad's family have it. It was mainly on my scalp and elbows as a child so was managable.

Over the last 5 years it has gradually got worse and now covers 90% of my body. My hands and feet being the most painful!

As creams alone were not doing the job I was prescribed Methrotrexate about 2 years ago. I took this for about a year and although i was lucky enough to not get any side effects, my P just got worse rather than better. I have recently been prescribed Acitretin - 30mg a day. I am only on day 4 and so far so good. I can already notice a positive difference in my hands although i am very dry (mouth, lips, eyey) and i seem to itch all over. Today my face has started to fall off. I can put up with all of this if it is short term and my P reduces.

The one thing i am worried about is that everything i read says you can not drink on Acitretin! Im no alcoholic but do like a drink and not keen on the decision being taken away from me.

Is there anyone out there who can give me some advise on what would happen if i did drink? Can i drink socially? I dont want to be the only sober one over the Xmas period!

Would really appriciatte any advise.

Thanks in advance

Nikki.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

I was given a choice between Methrotrexate and Acitretin from my dermatologist. I've read on the NHS guidelines that If you drink while on Acitretin (more than 1 unit) the terratogenic side effects might last for up to 2 years from when you stop taking the medication. So if you are planning on having a baby in the next 2-3 years I wouldn't suggest to drink at all while on Acitretin. 

I chose to go with Methrotrexate for that reason. I am not a heavy drinker, but I do like to go out every now and then and have few drinks. 

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for you swift reply. I have a 16 year old son and NOT planning anymore. Is that the only reason you can't drink on this medication because of the effects if you want a family? 

• Posted

That was the most serious one. Rest is common side effects that might or might not happen. Also the extra strain to your liver. Where you drinking socially while on Methrotrexate?
    • Posted

Mmmmm....Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yes i was, i had regular blood tests to check my liver and all was ok. Im a bit of a binge drinker, all or nothing. To be honest my skin doesnt like alcolol so it will do me good to have a break but wasnt looking forward to being a tea total, nice to know i might have an option.
  • Posted

nikki

I suffer full blown PsA  as this effects my life considerably I have taken all the DAMARD type medications and my body has been unable to take these medications and because of this they will not give me Biologics.

My condition now has lasted since about 1976 and I take Nsid Cox 2 and Opiates.

I on occasions go through all the treatments of PUVA  and other regimes.

In my case I asked my GP and am allowed a few drinks each week as long as I am snsible aout it, my intake over the week is no more than 12 Units.

With regards Biologics I  would advise you talk to your GP and negtiate your tipple. If you are unable to drink and there is no movement fair enough, although my GP trusts me and understands we have life choices, so there may be movment somewhere.

Only your GP can discuss this with you, treatments and activities boil down to trust, that is all I can really suggest to do

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.