Can I just stop propranolol (10 mgs every 8 hrs.) just two weeks after starting it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

A heart doctor told me to stop using it but I heard you can't just stop using something like that cold turkey .thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

All I can say is on my experience. I felt as though I could cope without them every day but take them every other day. I told my doc he said don't just come off them but ween myself off them. They may not be addictive but you could get some kind of withdrawal symptoms. I'm taking one every other day. But that's me, -you have to check with your gp
  • Posted

After just 2 weeks you may be ok just stopping it, but just as a precaution I would drop the dose to have for at least a week, then only twice a day for a week, etc. That's a fast ween, but it's better than just stopping. 2 weeks is probably not long enough for your body to become accustomed to the drug, but still ween just in case.
  • Posted

I was on the same dose as you and dropped one easily. Two days later I dropped another but had horrible side effects the following day so increased the dose again. I've not plucked up the courage to try again but will later this week. 
    • Posted

I would ween off very slowly.  Propranolol is a tricky med.  If your doctor doesn't give you any advice, I would try 10 mgs every 16 hours for a week then every 32 hours for a week and continue this pattern.  You have to go by how you feel.  If you get bad side effects, you will know you are weening too fast.  My experience is that it doesn't hurt to go slow and give your body time to adjust.  that is my experience.  You have to use your own judgement.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.