Can I still train bjj

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just got THR on my right leg, I've been training Brazilian jiu-jitsu for over 10yrs,so will I still be able to train after recovery? Has anyone else had thr and still do martial arts?? Bjj is my passion not sure what I will do if I can't do it. Thks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

dear petro, 

warm welcome to the hippies forum and to the other side -

we cannot answer your question, Petro ... usually, after THR , contact sports are to be avoided - 

not such good news  for you, sorry .... but who knows ??? 

How are you doing otherwise?

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Exactly right Pedro, we are not DR's and therefore you need to talk to your consultant, don't go doing anything without there say so, I'm sure that in time most sports are achievable but your first goal is to get your exercises in place and let your new hip settle.

Don't try to overdo it though

• Posted

Petro,

Hola.  The responses you've recieved will be discouraging.  A discussion with your medical team will be essential to make that evaluation but keep in mind, unless they practice BJJ or are very familiar with it, they will not be speaking from a position of knowledge.  Part of their accurate evaluation will be for you to educate them about what BJJ entails.  Don't assume they will know what your practice involves and do assume they will have a natual bias against it based on this lack of understanding.  You would want to bring books, the training manuals, show them the photographic demonstrations of the drills, holds, throws and what rolling is really about.  Without that they can not possibly give you an honest answer.  That's the good news.  Now the bad.  I practiced Judo many years.  These two martial practices are conjoined twins, brought to the Gracies in the 50s.  Your ability to absorb Ukemi is going to be severey restricted.  Ask me how I know.  I never exceeded college and local tournament experience and as such had no business in randori with a former Romanian National level champion, but you know the drill: never back down.  That thrashing ended with his final Utsuri Goshi that put me throught the mat.  Like in slow motion I can still remember each portion of it, including the sensation of dislocation occuring before landfall.  I was on crutches and ice for a week after.  Forced retirement; wasn't planned, couldn't be avoided.  Can't stand the loss of something I enjoyed doing so much but a fact's a fact.  I was done.  End of story.

Some more bad news: best show the doctors a picture of sankaku jime [triangle] and ask if your leg is going to withstand that torsion and bend.  Need to be realistic here hombre. 

But here's another perspective to consider:  Sato recovered from a broken vertebrae and ruptured disc, under went surgery and won the All Japan as well as an Olypmic medal.  A famous Japanese had a testicle crushed in an Olympic contest he went on to win.  Neil Ohlenkamp underwent hip replacement and while restricting his randori practice still teaches and heads USJA as president last I read.  If you are looking for a real inspiraton research Satchio Ashida.  Colon cancer surgery and at least one knee replacement and on the mat teaching into his late 70s.  I never considered myself comparable to the discipline and toughness of those greats.  You might need to examine that question for yourself.

A favorite line from an American movie, "Any Given Sunday": Every athelete wants another chance.  It's hard to give up something you love and is such an integral part of ones life, something so self defining.  Ask yourself your reasons for practice, and then consider how you might transform/adjust your goals for further practice.  Is your club competition oriented?  Are there guys there you trust to continue to practice with that will take any limitations you might have into considersation- really seriously.  Will you be willing to continue to practice within those limitations and not full out as once you were able to do?

Whatever you decide is the best course of action to pursue I wish you the best but remember- the important lessons you learned from your training will never leave you.  They will live in your bones until they're laid to rest.  Bien Suerte.

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. You make some great points and I know I will

have to explain both to my doc and physio about my training. I know my game will have to change and I will be limited to what I can do. For sure I will not be getting thrown or practice break falls, so all I can is ground work. I've done some research and read about other bjj and judo practioners who still train after THP but do not compete. Like you said I'll have to educate my doc and physio therapist on my art. I see your very knowledgeable in martial arts and I thank you again on your advice, very helpful.

Petro

• Posted

I would agree with Jimbone. I practised judo for 40+ years - I was advised, but I had already figured it out for myself, that I would have to give it up, even before the surgery. My arthritis was too severe and the damage risk was too great. I had a good run, but I could not see the benefit to the risk. So I realigned my activity and took up yoga - much less dangerous!!! One door closes and another one opens. But I'd have to be honest, despite a very good recovery on the hip, I think I would have been loathe to test it out at the level of practice that I had been used to, and teaching alone just didn't cut it for me. It had to be the package or nothing. As it happens that choice was moot - the ankle now needs rebuilding and that would not withstand judo, even assuming the surgery is successful. 

But even if you cannot continue, you never lose that edge. And that's worth a lot. 

• Posted

My apologies to Petro101 and the community.  When I originally read and posted here I thought you were talking about "dog" training.  I could not have been more incorrect.  Please disregard my original response.

My goal as part of this community is to encourage and provide what little knowledge I have.  However, here I was wrong.  

Petro, best of luck with your continued passion for bjj and a complete recovery. 

• Posted

LOL  - so funny Kebra .... sorry about that ...

cheesygrinApology accepted .. but what are you apologizing for ...

• Posted

Well there you go - if he can't return he could take up dog training cheesygrin There are never enough dog trainers in the world!!!

• Posted

You may be able to if you let your professor know and your grappling opponent. BBJ, as you know, can be hard on your joints. Best of luck. I gave up Shorei Goju, but then again I am old and it MAY have contributed to me needing a new hip
    • Posted

Yes it may. The doctors said the same about my judo. Sitting on the sofa may have contributed too. Working.... I'm fairly confident that being alive did it! Like most things, we wear out. I wouldn't swap any of my choices about the life I led though - and any other life could have left me the same or with other medical problems. It's the hand we are dealt.... 

• Posted

Hi Petro,

I would check with your surgeon.  There are some things that aren't recommended after a FHR.  One of them is high impact sports.  The reason is that you will have metal hammered down into your femur to support the prostetic limb.  If you damage the femur, the results could be very bad. 

Of course, there is nothing stopping you from continuing your sport after you're fully recovered (12-18 months).  This risk is yours.

Best wishes!

• Posted

Depend on the kind of operation that u will have or had

also depends on the doctor and material

i am a black belt in martial arts including a blue in bjj

but its very easy to dislocate the hip doing bjj

maybe go for something like tai chi relaxing

• Posted

hi im 48 years old and have been practicing martial arts for 15 years, i had a thr on my left hip just over 4 years ago. within 6 months i was back training very lightly at first and gradually built back up ( one limitation i put on myself now is kicking pads i completely reduce the power of the kick and concentrate on the technique).

almost two years ago so post 2 years i started Brazilian jiu-jitsu, so far I have had no trouble, providing your very honest with yourself your professor and fellow students you should be OK. when I say honest I mean accept you will have limitations so tap early avoid, wars whilst rolling, let partners know about it etc and you should be OK.

I have also just had a right thr and plan to go back again in time but only after the physio and surgeon give me the nod ( I think once you get movement back you should first really focus on body movements and stretching to find your limits and then look at slowly and gently working around a dummy before diving back into classes.

a final point is i attend normal bjj classes and participate in rolls at the end of class but i choose them rolls wisely ie guys girls you can trust who will push you but not try to smash you. I also avoid sparring classes as I have no interest in competing ( that's the tuff part to accept for some, me I now just enjoy bring able to and learn).

I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.