Can it be gluten plz help

Posted , 4 users are following.

It all started 2 yrs ago with a terrible stomach ache and the passing of yellow stools

2 years later I still pass loose floating yellow stools with mucus or just diarrhea sometimes they look browner this a rare tho I have bouts of anxiety and depression upper stomach pain burning mid back pain

Insomnia joint pains alopecia Barbae pale skin weight gain/weight loss these symptoms come and go but the stool issue remains I feel ok for a few months then really ill

I have had bloods done Celtic included

Endoscopy

Colonoscopy

Ct scan

Ultrasound

Mri of intestines

All clear gastro says no sign of cancers or disease

Am at my wits end just want my life back

These symptoms didn't all come at once gradually over time I have noticed a struggle with fatty foods and things like pizza

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Why don't you just give up gluten and see if you feel any better. I found it quite easy and the only thing I miss is decent bread. Make sure you read labels carefully.
  • Posted

It's great that you don't have coeliac and even better that it's not cancer, GSC, but awful that your symptoms persist. sad

You may want to try a food diary, although you're already aware of some triggers. It sounds a little more like gall bladder than CD and that won't change if you eliminate gluten. You can try it, though since you've ruled out Coeliac it can't hurt to cut out gluten. I think you'll still have the same issues, though - just my own (uneducated) guess. Your tests included gall bladder & liver checks? I think they can do tests to see your bile levels, are those normal?

If there really isn't another cause, then I suppose it could be gluten sensitivity or another allergy/sensitivity behind this. I wish you luck!! Please keep us posted!

• Posted

Did you just have a blood test for coeliac disease? Or did they do a biopsy as well. Blood tests for coeliac disease are unreliable and biopsies need to be done (whilst eating continuing to eat gluten on a regular basis).

As has been said already though, it can't hurt to try going gluten free to see if it helps and gluten intolerance can make you ill even if you don't have the auto-immune disease of Coeliac disease.

• Posted

Hi I got blood test for celiac along with vitamins and minerals all were ok, when my endoscopy was done there was no biopsy taken only a biopsy when colonoscopy was done

Only thing from all my test were a slightly raised alt on my liver this when back this normal

• Posted

So it's still possible it could be coeliacs then. Obviously you would need another endoscopy with biopsy to confirm it, or if you don't want to have another, you could just stop eating gluten to see if you improve. 

I would add that when I had a blood test it came back negative but they booked me in for endoscopy and that proved to be positive and I have known this happen to quite other people, and it's well known that the blood test for coeliac disease is not very reliable. 

• Posted

I have an appt with gastro on Tuesday and will raise my concerns I honestly don't know anymore I seem to go round so many different illnesses and scare myself stupid hope I get to the bottom of this

Thanks for replies everyone much appreciated

• Posted

Good luck for Tuesday.  Just one thing though, if going for another endoscopy is an option to totally rule out coeliac disease, you must be eating gluten on a daily basis for at least 6 weeks beforehand for it to show up in your results. 

Let eat us know how you get on next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.