Can it get any worse ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone

Not a happy person at the moment. Basically it started at around 3 weeks a go been having some strange sensations in my hard/forearm, It's really hard to describe, so went to the dr last week. 

I mentioned the problems I have been having with my hand/arm, (the numbness/tingling etc) he did some tests. Tapping my wrist and holding on to my hands, he mentioned it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. He gave me some anti-inflammatories. So far I have taken them for a week, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I am getting this cramping sensation in my fingers when im typing, writing well, that hurts.  Just not sure if I should go back to my drs sooner or wait until my course of anti-inflammatoried runs out.  

Plus how much worse can it get, just anxious and frustrated , as im out of work at the moment but need a job and im worried about my hand/arm etc.

What sort of things has helped you.

Tia

Anita

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is very specific. It is worse first thing in the morning and does NOT affect you little finger or the 1/2 of your ring finger beside little finger. If this applies to you then it is CTS if not then it is not. It is that simple. Anti-inflammatories alone mey not control it and you may need to take steroids for a while.
    • Posted

I think I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome too .. That explains my symptoms . Had the injections for Carpal Tunnel , they are beginning to sort of feel normal again . Still have probs with little finger , half of Palm and arm though . 
    • Posted

I had a curpal tunnel opp around 9months ago. It took long time to heel as I had both hands done at same time. I now went back to see Dr and have a fatty lump on my wrist on right hand. It hurts and I have all same pain then before. My elbow hurts as well so I think I could have cubital tunnel. Waiting for test now.
  • Posted

Hi Anita

sorry to hear you are suffering. CTS is basically a narrowing in the wrist that traps the nerve. It Is iusually worse in the night as when we relax we bend our wrist and make it worse. Two things to help, go to the chemist and ask for a splint for CTS. Wear it in the night. When your hand/arm is tingling hang your arm down and shake it quite vigorously. This also helps in the night if you hang it over the side of the bed and shake it.

i would go back to your GP and request a referral for nerve conductivity tests. This will confirm the diagnosis. If it is not CTS then your GP needs to look for another diagnosis.

good luck Regards Elaine 

• Posted

This probably sounds daft but.....how much do your hands "hurt" I am just curious. ...know the pins and needles and numbness at night and doing certain things during the day ( putting make up on, cleaning teeth etc) but do they ache - as if you have worked them do hard for a long time and get stabbing pains in thumb base  and "bone pain " deep in your hands ? My op is Nov for right hand and Jan for left.....but they are driving name crazy as if they are so tired and ache - is this common? Anyone got any ideas to make them feel better. Almost like I want to " take my hands off" for a while and give them a break from ? and put them "on" again when they have had a rest ( told you I was going crazy) Also - the nhs splints - struggling to get right feeling of fitting properly,  has anyone bought some different ones and had more success with them ?   
  • Posted

Hi,

I have the same pain for 4 months now.  Went to have the nerve testing and was told it isn't bad enough for an operation.  I have a video for hand and wrist exercises plus I wear a splint at night. It stopped my hands from getting worse. I think it could be arthritis.  Have the testing done.  Good luck. The test is nothing. Did not mind it at all.

• Posted

Hi everyone

Getting really fed up with it now ... Having the cortisteriod injection on Monday hopefully that will ease my hand/arm ... Had to fill in an application form by hand. The boxes was tiny , had to write very small (not very good at that) . My hand was absolutely hurting like mad whilst doing it . It's still very sore now .... sad

• Posted

Sorry to hear u just started this , already had left hand done 4 years ago wasn't that bad , but had right hand done about 5weeks ago , it's not doing ad well , still n a lot of pain can't seem to get any sleep , having a hard time not being able to do little things , twisting caps  , brushing my teeth , makeup , guess just matter of time before I heal all the way, going to call Dr back Monday just to make sure its not htinh seriously wrong 
  • Posted

I went to 2 doctors,and they bothy said I had carpal. Nothing they did helped.  I then went to get the nerve testing done ,and was told I don't have it.  I then went to my arthritis doctor and I have osteoarthritis.  Go get the nerve testing done. Start ruling out some things. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies everyone ... Had my injection , wasn't as bad as I thought(the injection itself)... Guess it's a waiting game to see if it helps and things ... 
  • Posted

I wore a custom made wrist support which gave the nerve some time to heal and had PT . Haven't had a issue since.

good luck biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.