can menieres return after major surgery?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had menieres disease for 3 years. Finally after a lot of medication and minor surgery I opted for the Right Retrosigmoid Craniotomy and Vestibular Neurectomy (balance nerve cut in head). For 18 months I've had no further attacks. However lately my balance has started to get worse and I feel like an attack is going to start but it hasnt yet. Does anyone know if this is possible after such major surgery.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My ent told me that if I had the surgery there was no guarantee that it wouldn't move to my other ear. So I chose to go on Valium in March of 2013 and was on 20mg throughout the day and now I'm suppose to up it to 25 mg a day.
    • Posted

It does for me it's a vestibular depressant. Very rarely do I get a spit second shock like sensation for watching fast action movies that have a lot of action scenes.
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking, do you work?  Im just wondering if I would be able to function while taking it daily or if I would be extremely tired.  I was prescribed it recently but only took 2.5 mg.  I've been getting vertigo and dizziness daily in the last few months. Some extremely bad some mild.  It varies.
    • Posted

I take 20mg throughout the day along with bp meds and it doesn't make me tired at all. But I am disabled due to a back injury in 2011.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.