Can PMR present on one side of the body?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had pain and stiffness in my legs and hips last year and was told by GP it was most likely due to menopause and 'just getting older'. I kept saying I felt like I'd been hit by a truck every morning upon arising. Three months ago I started to get dreadful left hip pain and stiffness, an ultrasound showed tendonitis in top of hip and thigh. I also have tendinitis in my left elbow. Strong pain killers did nothing, couldn't get out of a chair without great pain and started to use an elbow crutch. I insisted my GP trial me on pred and within 48hrs all pain gone!! Was only on it two weeks, had to stop due to terrible mood change teary all the time, mouth ulcers and bad cold sore outbreak. The pain in my hip is 50% less now but I developed left jaw/temple pressure pain for two weeks. This too has eased but it's intermittent and left side of face feels sore. I always have a sore scalp as I wear my hair up in a pigtail( lots of thick curly hair). The GP won't give a diagnosis of PMR until my rheum assessment which is a three month wait to get in. Is it PMR/GCA I'm totally unsure!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I suggest you to the opticians. Just walk into Specsavers or the like and ask for an eye test. You can normally get one the same afternoon. Explain that you have sudden onset jaw/ temple pressure and they should see you straight away.

i was 50 when I went down with PMR and my GP said it was nothing. The optician was fantastic at ruling out GCA.

Also, ring the hospital where the rheumy is based and explain that you are young and have sudden onset pain and now temple/jaw pain. MY GP told me I would have to wait months. I rang the dept and they said get GP to fax letter and they saw me at tne next urgent slot, so I only waited a short time.

If it is GCA you need to be seen now, not next week or next month. Hopefully it is not.

Sometimes you have to push....

Good luck

• Posted

Sounds very much like PMR, particularly given your near immediate response to prednisone. Don't confuse PMR and GCA as they are very different.

As you may have read on this site, the standard protocol for people newly diagnosed with PMR is 15-20 mg site, the standard protocol for people newly diagnosed with PMR is between 15 and 20 mg of prednisone every morning. If you have to wait three months to see a rheumatologist, and after studying a lot of feedback on this website you determine you probably do have PMR, try to convince your GP to put you on a prednisone protocol. Is no reason for you to suffer for the next several months while you wait for a rheumatology appointment

• Posted

Sounds like PME to me, and others who have delt with PMR, longer than I have, I'm sure will agree. Sorry to hear about the reaction to the steriods, the chances of side effects do increase realtive to the dosage strength; what was the dosage? Prednisone is the go to med to control the inflammation, and relives all the pain, stiffness and other symptoms. If your present ponytail hairstyle is causing pain, why not cut your hair and wear it in a "wash, finger comb and go" hairstyle. I bet you dollars to donuts, you will absolutely love it. I say, anything that make this PMR more tolerable to live with.

• Posted

Hi Nola I have just been seen 13 days ago by a very astute GP, I say this as I've been to the gps several times and under a rheumatologist for over 2 years with all these pains, who put it all down to age, menopause and my job (always on my feet).

i too had hip pain shoulder pain and finally spinal stiffness, well it felt like concrete didn't move at all, and neck pain, yes I do have headaches too.

this GP is covering for maternity leave and I'm glad she did, within 10 minutes of looking at me, listening to me, checking blood results put me straight on prednisolone, 20mg and in a week upped it to 30mg as there was still some pain, but 13 days on I have headaches still, but no pain in knees shoulders or neck, just mild spinal stiffness. She gave me a steroid card to carry and I see my rheumatologist Friday, I am worried he takes me off the treatment and it all comes back.

So don't loose hope keep on the steroids for the 3 months don't worry about a 'diagnosis' apparently if in 4 days of treatment things improve they say it's enough to say you have a diagnosis of PMR. Do go get your eyes tested as someone else discussed or go to A&E with your symptoms they can do some blood tests and tell you what they think re your concerns of GCA.

• Posted

If you have vision problems, you need to see a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist.  The optician is only trained to fit eyeglasses.  Just a bit of semantics here, but thought should be clarified.  Many eyeglasses shops also have optometrists on staff.

Sudden onset of vision problems should be attended to right away at an emergency department - A&E I think you call it in UK? - as serious as stroke or heart attack.

• Posted

Sorry Nola re read your post. You had you come off the pred, what a shame, could you not have had a lower dose to see how you went with that.

yes my pain was mainly right sided, but the shoulder pain was both sides, and I'm not sure where the spine comes in, so I'm not sure as you are not, whether it's the right diagnosis, Friday will make things clearer. 

• Posted

Sounds like PMR and/or GCA - and it is imperative that you get it sorted NOW - you could go blind if it's GCA!!

You need to see someone immediatly. Go to another Dr, or optomologist ASAP!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.