Can propranolol be the source of my excessive exhaustion?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im a 22 year old female and Iwas prescribed 20MG of propranolol about a month ago for my rapid heart rate and ever since I've been exhausted and dizzy almost all the time. There are some days I feel okay then others I can't seem to get the energy I need and I feel extremely lightheaded and unable to focus. I don't know what to do, could this be the source?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paige,

Im surprised that you are having such a strong reaction to such a low dose. I'm on 80 mg for migraine, and don't have your symptoms. It helps my stage fright too, as I play in concerts and used to get shaky. Is your fast heart beat due to stress? (Sometimes I get a rapid heart rate in the evenings after an extra stressful day.) If so, the propanonlol should help. Has your heart been checked over? I would go back to the GP if it doesn't settle down soon. 20 mg is a very low dose, but maybe there's another beta blocker which would suit you better. Good luck! Helen

• Posted

OMG Im so glad I saw this.  I v been taking 40mg of propranol for quite a few weeks now to slow down my heartbeat (which I dont think I need) and have barely been able to get out of bed.  I try to clean, shop etc. but inevitably end up lying back down and sleeping.  Twice I have slept for 24 hours.  Its a wonder my heart hasn't stopped altogether.  I HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY DOC BUT IN BETWEEN RIGHT OR WRONG iM CUTTING OUT AT LEAST ONE TAB.  ACTUALLY, i HOPE IT IS THE TABS, OTHERWISE i HAVE SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG.  i'M  SCARED TO TAKE A BATH BECAUSE i HAVE DIZZY SPELLS..  How are you now?

• Posted

I was given propanolol for PTSD while being told I had Chronic fatigue . Luckily I never took more than 10mg nd no more than once or twice a week ( was supposed to take 10mg x4 daily). I became more lethargic, and completely apathetic .After several months of wretching , lack of appetite and losing 25% of my body weight I took it daily for only 10 days , and depression and anxiety like Ive never experienced hit me. I discontinued the drug 20 days ago and have been unable to function ever since. I am now wearing a holter monitor and my resting heart rate is 123 . 

As for treating me with this drug for PTSD, I have discovered it is supposed be used for a single event trauma in conjunction with psychotherapy . I have Complex PTSD from ongoing trauma, so the drug was mis-prescribed and also there was no follow up or instructions on discontinuation from the prescribing dr. 

I hope tapering off helps you to safely come off this medication, as I agree, I had no quality of life on propanolol, and although I had no prior heart issues I fear I do now. Oh, the depression completley disappeared on day 14 of withdrawl.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.