Can radiation cause ulcers and gastritis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok.... It all started back in January a month after I underwent radiation that targeted a tumor located where my previous cancer kidney was.

I had cyber knife radiation in high doses 5 days

During those days I was highly ill, a reaction I didn't expect to happen as I never even threw up during two pregnancies.

One day I was even throwing up on the freeway driving home after a treatment....

Well my gastritis started and I started seeing a GI

They did a scope and biopsie, blood work, nothing!

Only found an ulcer in my dode and inflammation

I've had pet scans, cat scans twice due to cancer follow up s ... I don't take any pain relievers, no pills only my acid reducing pills that I'm having a hard time to work

First ranitidine, suralfate, omezaprole, famotidine (currently)

Back on surcalfrate and dexilant for later in case the famotidine doesn't work which it's not helping much

I don't drink alcohol

I'm very particular since my first cancer experience in 2014

I understand stress causes ulcers and gastritis

Alcohol, pills, infection but I don't do or have any but still have gastritis. I went to see a 2nd doctor all he said was, you have a combination of gerd gastritis, ibs and so on

And prescribed more pills..

I have one kidney and I NEVER had to take pills in my life

now I do but I don't want to ruin my only one healthy kidney.

Any one else experience any of this?

Is there a solution or is pills the only way?

I needed to find out what my underlying issue is

not coat it with pills...

Every time I eat or iF I don't i get horrible stomach pain, aches, burning in my stomach... not so much acid

Mainly just in my stomach

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have heart that healing an ulcer can take time. Keep to pills and strong diet, I have some problems with my stomach also I do not know yet what is it. If you notice some food that it flares it up do not eat it.
    • Posted

Omg your not kidding!

I'm in bed right now with my latest flare up!

Had to leave work

I started the fodmap plan yesterday and felt great

No aches yesterday'

This morning had almond milk with Cheerios and a sliced up banana and now I'M Dying!!! I think it's the banana causing it, it had slightly flared up before even i ate them and it made me wonder but now!, so bad I'm vomiting and it's messing with my bowels..

no more bananas for me Crazy!

and yes my ulcer is super sore now

• Posted

I do not think the banana. My flares up with milk and I eat a lot of bananas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.