Can scoliosis cause back pain and muscle twitching?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Guys,

I'm a 39 year old woman who was diagnosed with scoliosis in her early 20s. I've never really worried too much about it for most of my life. But lately, I tend to get muscle pain in my middle back. It is mostly on the right side where the curve is located. I also get some muscle twitches in the same area. I've also noticed that I have pain the my flanks (both sides) as well as my neck and shoulders. 

I'm not sure if any of this sounds familiar to you, and if this is typical of problems caused by scoliosis. I'd really appreciate any feedback you might have to offer me on this.

Thank You

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm 16 & i have kyphosis. Yes our conditions cause chronic & very painful back pain. & So can anxiety. If you sit with a humpback, you may have a bit of breathing problems well from the compression on your lungs. But it's not a big deal. Kyphosis & Scoliosis are extremely common & treatable. I also have pain in my ribs, & chest accompanied by loss of apittite. It's a horrible feeling but it's not going to kill you. I would get treatment from an orthopedic doctor, chiropractor, or possibly surgery. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Yes,  scoliosis can and does cause severe muscle and nerve pain. That's because all your muscles  are trying to compensate for the curvature. Everything is out of balance. I  have pain every day. It does vary in  location and severity day by day. It's very frustrating.  I am at the point of wanting the surgery to lessen the daily pain. I  hope  I am making the right decision.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hiya, to answer your question... yes, scoliosis can cause back pain. I am a 16 year old girl with double scoliosis and I have noticed that back pain is often a quite common companion of scoliosis. About that muscle twitching, I'm not too sure. Have you seen an ortho yet. They might refer you to a physiotherapist to try and alleviate the pain. 

• Posted

I haven't seen an Ortho yet, but will do in the future. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. 

• Posted

I had scoliosis surgery when I was 16.  It was a bad curve and the surgery made my life better.  I am now 54 and suffer from daily aches and pains in my back and neck, sometimes muscle twitching.  It is made worse by the fact that I’m about 30 lbs. overweight.  Each year as it gets worse, I just have to learn my limits and not overdo it.
    • Posted

Hello Patty,

Thank you for answering my question. I have a great deal of back pain lately. A lot of it feels like knots rather than generalized throbbing. I could also stand to lose some weight, so that doesn't help I'm sure. The muscle twitching really makes me nervous, but I'm glad to hear it is not unusual with scoliosis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.