Can Sleep Test Results be influenced by high testosterone

Posted , 2 users are following.

A while back I had a lab sleep test done and it showed moderate Sleep Apnea. At the time my testosterone levels were really high like 1,700 total. I read that testosterone can make Apnea worse so now that my level is much lower say 400 now I have noticed that my CPAP machine shows no Apnea at all for 2.5 hours of sleep. Now I think a new test is in order. I may not need the stupid machine at all. Has anyone else ever had a sleep test that may have been botched do to high T? If so please let me know.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

why do you need testosterone tests for sleep problems. I don't get it.  Apnoea is caused by fatty obstructions around the neck causing breathing difficulties.

rich

• Posted

I don't understand the mechanics of it, but it states that Testosterone can and does make OSA worse. This really is the only explanation I can come up with as to why my Apnea seems to be getting better. I don't fit the mold for someone with Apnea as I am not over weight and I lost some weight as well, but really not enough to make it better. I think T can cause a thickening of the tissues or enlarge the adams apple maybe. All I can say is my Apnea seems to be much better and I have no explanation as to why.
  • Posted

You should get another sleep test, since you read that testosterone levels can affect sleep apnea.  I have never had a sleep test.  What do they do in a sleep test?

I did feel like I was stopping breathing when I was sleeping a couple of years ago, and I woke with a start, gasping for breath.  That was before I felt other things in my head that made me scream and sit up in bed.  I think I started going to sleep sooner so I wouldn't be tired, to stop myself from being too tired.  I forget what else helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.