Can someone give me some advice on GS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm 16 and recently been diagnosed with GS and was wondering if anyone else has the symptoms I do these are:

-feeling sick

-tired all the time

-have a headache

I was also wondering how much exercise can you do with GS, and has anyone got any ideas on what to do?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear youre getting symptoms, lovatic. My advice is to start weaning yourself from the normal diet of meats, fast food, etc. Ease yourself into a more vegan way of eating. I do best when I am strict with veggies and fruits. Green leafy is the best I can be. Water, water, water. Do I cheat at my diet? of course but you will feel best after a few weeks of going veggie and staying hydrated. I excercise until I'm worn out honestly. I cant go an hour but I can go 15 here and there so just do what feels comfortable. Diet is #1 though. Hope you start feeling better soon.
  • Posted

GS usually goes hand in hand with haemochromatosis, check it out at the society. Some Consultants will argue that there should be no symptoms but we are talking liver here so you cannot be expected to be well all the time!  You have to do what your body tells you, keep yourself hydrated especially with water it does help to keep a food diary. Ask your GP to check your full blood count, iron levels, ferritin and transferritin also iron saturation. I hope that you will soon begin to pick up. There is a great bunch of people here. Take Care
    • Posted

Traudley - can you point me to anything on the link between GS and hemochromatosis? I was diagnosed with GS about 17 years ago, and earlier this year discovered I have one of the genes for haemachromatosis - and although not loading iron, my levels are higher than they should be - and I am always exhausted (and have several other symptoms).

I had not heard of any link between the two conditions before.

• Posted

I also suffer from Gilbert's Syndrome. I have recently come up with a very simple solution to get along with it and I hope it works for you too. Drink a glass of pomegrante juice (it must be natural) or have a pomegrante and all the symptoms of Gilbert's syndrome will disappear.
  • Posted

Hi There

There are at least 65 Genes which will give you Haemochromatosis. The Consultants like to say that you need the double Gene to be a true Haemocrit but in actual fact you can mutate on any one Gene.  I mutated on H63D and a liver biopsy confirmed that my Liver was dense with Iron. Keep a diary as to how you are, look for discolouration of the skin. Make a fist and see if the index finger and second one sit higher than the rest as this is known as the Iron Fist, if you become drunk easily on alcohol also keep an check on your iron levels. Some people are diagnosed with Diabetes and Osteoporosis long before they are diagnosed with Haemochromatosis. Check out the Haemochromatosis Site for further advice and information.  I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.