Can’t bear weight on one leg- no injury, no infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter is 12 yo and started limping a few months ago. There was no injury, no illness. We have done x rays, mri's and lots of bloodwork . No fracture, no infections. She does have little cartilage around her femoral head. She also had fluid on her hip, it was drained and found to be all blood This is when she could no longer weightbear. More MRI's, showed fluid was back, but spine was fine Dr.'s are at a loss of why she cant walk. Also, pain is behind her knee, not hip, but what causes her pain is movement of the leg certain ways, so the ORTHO has determined it is her hip. 2nd time around, fluid drained (no blood) and bone biopsy. ALL NORMAL We are seeing a 3rd Othopedic Surgeon, and are seeing an Endocronologist, Hemotologist, and Rhuematologist.

Has ANYONE experienced this or have any suggestions. I'd love to find someone that is like Dr. House. We need to get my daughter walking again.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear about your daughter. She seems a bit too young to have what I had, it usually happens around 15 to 16 years old. And I would be shocked if an orthopedic surgeon didn't see it immediately on an xray, but I'll mention it anyways. I had a slipped capital femoral epiphysis when I was around 16 years old. If it's caught early, it can be pinned and everything should be good for the long run. If it isn't caught early, and becomes acute, like mine, then the chances of problems become much greater. I suppose it can't hurt to ask the doctors if they ruled out any slipping of the epiphysis. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Yes, that was one of the first things they ruled out.

• Posted

i hate to say i had the exact same as a child only no mri's then but went undiagnosed for years my poor mum was at her wits end till i saw a lovely polish doc and he only had to move leg a certain way but knew what was wrong its called sufe slipped upper fermoral epyphysis which means hip keeps slipping will need pinned back and that was over 45 yrs ago had hip replaced few years back but good luck she will be in a lot of pain.

• Posted

So sorry to hear it took so long to figure yours out. That was the initial thought for my daughter, but the Dr. did check for that. I wonder if that could happen when she walks or moves, but not while she's lying down for the MRI?

• Posted

Hello, I am 47 and i am having same issue for last few months. I was limping at first and for me, out of nowhere i cant walk on one leg. i feel fine when i lay down but when i get up,i have to use crutches for everything, dr. are at a loss because ive had a lot of testing. ortho said my bakers cyst and torn meniscus is common and wouldn't cause my inability to bear weight. i understand the frustration especially not knowing, please keep me posted on your daughter's condition, please twll her stay strong,you as well and if i find out anything i will let you know. in my prayers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.