Can't cope with this much longer

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks with this condition and going out of my mind!

It all started when I thought the 2 spots next to each other on the left side of my chest near the collarbone were mosquito bites as I'd not long come back from a holiday in the Canaries. However, they began to become the centre of an oval shape which went dry and scaly. I also had a small itchy spot on my arm in the crease of the elbow that had a silvery outline and soon after this cropped up I began to itch around my upper chest & breasts which then spread to my back and sides yet there was no visible rash. I went to my GP and explained this. She took one look at the spot on my arm and diagnosed PR informing it was nothing serious and usually takes 2-6 weeks to clear. I was given fenofexadine 180mg and Betnovate for the itch but neither stopped it. I was then given Bethmethasome and told to use emollient to bathe in cool water. That made no difference either so was given Eurax 10hr relief from itching which also didn't work. The rash came up on my trunk but not as bad or red as some pics I've seen on here. In fact quite mild looking in comparison but followed the lines like the Xmas tree. I could not sleep properly itching 24/7. This disrupted my partners sleep and along with the stress from worrying about me they ended up with shingles. So another trip to our GP who gave my partner a course of acyclovir. I queried whether my condition could be linked to shingles even though I was immunised 4 months ago. The Dr assured me my condition definitely was PR. My partner recovered within a week.

2 weeks later I needed more cream so spoke to a Dr who was on duty telling him the itch was driving me mad so what else was there I could have. He told me that what I'd been prescribed was the only solution and said you do realise it lasts between 8 - 12 weeks. Now that's a lot longer than what the first Dr told me so I gather they know little about PR and treatment is really just for relieving the effects of histamine release.

So after 7 weeks the rash is starting to dry up, is barely visible apart from scaly looking lines but I still itch badly. I tried washing with Head & Shoulders, soaking in a cool bath of emollient, moisturising regularly as well as not moisturising at all and letting my skin go dry. 8 weeks in and my skin started to get sensitive like a prickly feeling or when something is crawling on it which made me itch and scratch.

Week 9 I decided to try a sunbed. I did 5 mins and never itched all that day and had a first undisturbed nights sleep. Ive done alternate days on the sunbed and my skin goes through phases of feeling normal then dry and sort of papery. Although the itch isn't as intense as in the first few weeks, the prickly feeling makes me scratch and causes a rash to appear. I do have rash under my breasts but not sure if its PR or sweat rash. Also got a slight rash in groin, on neck and itch around hairline. One day the skin feels smooth and not so bad, then the next day its unbearably prickly and dry so don't know what's best to do any more but could this sensitive skin be signs of it healing and the end of PR? Would be very grateful to hear if anyone else has been through similar phases and how long after the rash had gone did their skin feel sensitive.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.