Can the contaceptive implant break?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I got the implant a week ago and have nocked it a few times. I'm a little worried that it will break. Any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It would be pretty impossible for the nexplanon (presuming that's the implant you have) implant to break or snap. It's made of a flexible yet sturdy plastic, you would have to hit it super hard and probably seriously damage your arm for it to break as long as it has been fitted properly. It is also implanted under a layer of tissue which cushions it from impacts.

I've had mine for 6 months and am really pleased with how it suits me.

Check out the nexplanon website for other information: www.nexplanon.co.uk

LuLu

• Posted

That's not necessarily true. I have the Nexplanon implant. My old one broke and they can't explain why. I have never had trauma to either arm. They literally cannot explain why it broke.

• Posted

I had the implant for the full 3 years. I don't know much about it breaking. I do know though that I could feel it in my arm and actually see it if I pushed on one side of it. I would think if it was broke you'd be able to feel if it was or at least see it? Just a suggestion. I know it would hurt here and there if I pressed on my arm right over where it was but not broken. I guess anything is possble. I just thought I'd suggest at least feeling it first or if you are really worried I'd of course check with a doctor. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Im 22 and I just got on the nexplanon today, but I was on depo provera for the past 3 years. Anyways I've noticed you've been on the nexplanon for the full term and so I was wondering if you have any information or advice you can give me about it. I guess I'm just kinda worried ice never had anything be inside my body like this if that makes sense 😂😂? Please and thank you ??

• Posted

HI....Nexplanon was my first ever birth control at 33 years old. Honestly I had a lot of not so good side effects from it. I thought it would be perfect for me and unfortunately even though I kept it for the full amount of time it wasn't the best. At first I didn't have a period for a full year which was awesome. Then after that year I got a period that would last weeks and it was very, very heavy period, then the periods lasted for MONTHS. I didn't ask the doc to try to regulate the periods until it was almost time to get it out and that didn't work for me either. I gained a lot of weight, I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life. I still have that weight right now. I would cry and get angry very quickly. Very tired and always hungry...figures why I got all this weight. Getting the implant removed was also not to fun. They dig it out, it felt like the lady need about 4 more sets of hands to help remove it and it left a pretty noticeable scar. I hope that this won't make you feel bad about your choice just because this is what happened with me doesn't mean it'll be the same for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. I wish you the best.

• Posted

nah it wont break. its a thin piece of plastic so very hard to break unless you cut it in half? no need to worry. you get used to it being there - may take some time a few weeks/months 
  • Posted

I know this is old, but it is in google's top 5 so need to clarify - my nexplanon counterceptive implant has broken twice. it is an abnormality, but it can and does happen. I had each one for about 2 years. only long term side affects have been weight gain, loss of period, and mood change.

when it breaks, it causes insane mood swings that feel like a manic episode.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.