Can uretheral stricture cause urinary hesitancy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Past 4 months I have been facing an issue with starting urine. My PSA is in normal range, urine tests didn't detect blood, white blood cells or bacterial infection. My doctor has touched my prostate but I didnt feel pain. Ultrasound didnt detect any abnormalities in kidney and bladder.

My issue is during start of urine, when I go to pee it sometimes takes time even 30 secs or more to start. On other times it comes out in 5 to 20 secs. First urine drops or a weak stream come out (after waiting for say 10-15 seconds) and then my urine starts normal with decent force and I'm able to control with spinchter. I notice when my bladder is 3/4 full I'm able to pee better . When my bladder is with less urine, it takes lot of time to start pee ( at times have taken 1 minute)

As my psa and prostate felt normal, I dont think this is an issue with prostate. I'm guessing this is about uretheral stricture or Scar (not sure if they are same). Do the symptoms match with any of you? Please share your advise on what this could be?

I have a cystoscopy scheduled this month in 10 days from now. This is mentally so disturbing as we are planning for family but this genital problem has started . I'm also worried if cystoscopy will damage my urethra as I during my childhood I had a poor experience during circumcision it appears to be very delicate.

Kind regards,

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Dear Community,

I'm 37 years old. I had a cystoscopy done on 22 Feb. My urologist surgeon in Sydney did not find any issue with urethra but he found 2 abnormalities in my bladder. So he took biopsy in 2 places of bladder. I guess the main reason why I had issue with starting urine and above symptoms. Interestingly 2 ultrasound reports did not detect any abnormalities in bladder. I think ultrasound misses tiny developments in bladder.

It was very painful 1st day with bleeding urine and red blood clots on first four urine occasions. I almost had tears and was fighting for survival with every pee. Keeping legs wide and weight on both ball of foot hoping it burns less but it didn't. After several traumatic pees, burning has reduced considerably in day 2 but still feels like blades running through urine stream. Today is day 3 and I could still see urine sometimes is light brown (thinking it could be blood clot). I still have burning around penis tip and bottom urethera near tip especially when the urine stream is continuous, unsure if this is normal or Day 3. Internet search says one should get back to normal within 48 hours. I'm in Day 3 still not normal and not sure if bladder is healing.

I also got mild pain in Day 2 in abdomen guessing due to bladder biopsy. Penis sometimes leaves brown drops on underwear, I think it could be blood cloth discharge. This happened on Day 1 and Day 2 . I only concluded in Day 2 its brown drop as I wore white underwear on day 2.

I'm daily praying I get normal to life. My follow up with doctor is on 16 March to know the biopsy as well as cystoscopy findings.

I will keep you all posted on the findings and my experience here in the community.

I would be thankful if you have any suggestions on how to deal post cystoscopy and bladder biopsy, please share with me so I could come out of some suffering.

Best wishes for your situation, I hope you find this useful and also we all get back to normal life. Life itself is very short and the disorders are killing the valuable time we have to experience with loved one's.

Kind regards,

• Posted

I visited doctor today (16 Mar 2021) and hence I thought to share the update on my biopsy.

It was detected as non-cancerous . He found red skin in bladder . The reason is chronic inflammatory interstitial cystitis and it has no known cause. My doctor suggested it can come back. For now he suggested that I will get back to normal in coming 1-2 weeks. I did get bleeding and blood cloth again in last week but doctor said it is scab after biopsy.

Interestingly the interstitial cystitis was not detected in my 2 ultrasounds. My doctor said he is not aware why I had problem with urination as he said the water pipe(urethera) was fine.

Conclusion: Long delay in urinary start is not always scar, it could be bladder issues or prostate, etc.

Ultrasounds will not detect all inflammatory conditions or bladder wall issues.Everybody is different so what caused for one may not be the cause for other.

• Posted

Is your problem resolved now? Are you able to pee normally?

• Posted

I have primary bladder neck obstruction and a very small stricture. The stricture isn't dense at all. This is leading to a major urinary hesitancy, I have to wait for as long as 5 minutes for even for a thin stream of urine to come out. Then, it stops and starts again. Then, I have retention for as high as 80-100 m/l which never comes out. This is massively debilitating my life.

• Posted

tamsulosin fixed my problem around %90

• Posted

Possibly, but it depends on the prostate sensitivity and on the urethra.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.