Can you have hashimotos and cushings?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well before my diagnosis of hashimotos, I was fully convinced I have cushings caused by a tumour in my adrenal glands since Ive had pituitary tumours ruled out by an mri. I also have a hump at the back of my neck and red cheeks with acne plus weight gain.. My face has always been round I think but it does look puffy.

Could cushings and hashimotos be related? I asked the endocrinolgist why my adrenals haven't been tested and he said because I don't like like I have symptoms and my blood pressure is fine.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have a look at the article by Michael Schachter titled 'Integrated Medicine: the diagnosis annd treatment of hypothyroidism' to give to him. Which is well worth a read. Best explanation that I've found so far of hypothyroidism, its treatment, adrenal glands etc. and how they are all interrelated.
  • Posted

Hello Emily nice to hear from you.  In short, YES you can have both problems. Cushing's disease, cause weight gain and a moon face which is a rounding of it.  It should be tested for.  My doctor had me tested back when I was newly diagnosed and please ask your GP or Endo to test you. XO Shelly
  • Posted

Have a look at this article by Michael Schachter titled 'Integrated Medicine: the diagnosis and treatment of hypothyroidism. It explains how everything interrelates really well.
  • Posted

Hi Emily

Just re-read your post that mentioned the hump on the back of your neck. This is often caused by poor posture, sitting hunched over a desk, or computer, or phone, or book. If it's caught early enough it can be corrected by physiotherapy exercises. Look up 'forward head posture', or 'forward neck posture'. Speak to your GP to find out how to get access to physiotherapy. Also look up on Google.  It gives exercises to do and shows pictures of what the problem is.  Of course, I could be completely wrong - investigate 'neck forward' and see what you think!

• Posted

Thankyou, it does kinda of make sense for it to be my posture since I tilt my head forward a lot when im using my phone and I don't sit straight when im using my computer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.