Can you have Organ Overload With Normal Bloodwork?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have you seen any cases where someone has iron overload in 1 or more organs whilst having normal serum levels of total iron, iron binding capacity, saturation %, or ferritin? My levels are all well within normal and not on the high side by any means (to my and my doctor's knowledge).. but I’ve been experiencing a number of symptoms that match iron overload and eat a diet very conducive to acquiring iron overload (keto, lots of red meat & organ meats). Heart palpitation, shortness of breath, left side chest pain (especially with resistance training), some muscle weakness.I ask because I’m trying to rule things out and my primary said the blood tests are a safe sure test. I’m considering having him write me up a script for liver MRI just to confirm. I want to continue on with this diet in peace and can’t stop worrying about iron being a potential culprit.. Just want to cross it off the list. I’ve also noted improvement in my symptoms after blood draws.

Lastly, is the liver always the first organ to overload? Like can the heart overload first? Just trying to garner a better understanding of what’s likely and what’s not.

All that said, I'm inclined to believe my doctor but if there's even a 1% chance this is possible, I'd like to know so I don't prematurely rule it out. I'm going down the list of most to least likely culprits investigating and this'll help me prioritize where the iron overload possibility should sit. For the record, this isn't me trying to play doctor.. Just trying to do my due diligence as I've learned to not always trust the extent of my doctor's knowledge. I also don't have the money to go the route of doctor testing everything possible with excessive followups.Thank you,Evan

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor and your test results indicate no iron overload....accept that

great news! If it makes you feel better and gives you peace of mind donate blood

every one in a while...you will be helping others as well. A win/win.

• Posted

I understand your concerns.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.