Cant get to the bottom of what might be wrong.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I am a 52 year old male.

About 6 months ago I became unwell due to a virus of some sort. It’s likely I had COVID but I never tested positive for it. Ever since I’ve just not been right and most days I have a lack of energy and usually just feel unwell. Shortly after this I started to experience breathlessness mainly upon waking in the morning which was accompanied with what I can only describe as a crackling type noise in my throat whilst inhaling through my mouth. I would also experience an odd taste in my mouth. Its difficult to describe but its like a salty/metallic type taste. There was mention of ‘acid reflux’ so I tried Gaviscon and Lansoprazole which didn’t help much.

I ended up visiting my GP and had a blood test and X-ray of my chest. Both came back as ok. Since then I’ve had an ECG which I’m told was ok albeit I have slight bradycardia.

I was also sent for a spirometry test and that came back as fine. Lungs of a 35 year old apparently.

A few weeks ago I started to notice tingling in my hands (pins & needles sensation) and my legs were twitching/shaking. It got that bad one night I visited A&E but other than having a further blood test (which was ok) I felt like I was wasting their time. I’ve not had the same level of trembling since but I continuously feel like my thighs are trembling/twitching. They feel a little weak but I can walk fine.

Throughout this I have always thought it might be a problem with my heart probably because of the ECG result. I’ve also had pain/discomfort in the left part of my upper chest area. I’ve had this on and off for a number of years and feel like it’s something that flairs up now and then after exertion. If I press my chest slightly there is some discomfort and tenderness.

My blood pressure was checked over a short period of time and was slightly elevated. I’ve been prescribed Ramipril for this but have only been taking it for just over a week. My mood has been affected by all this and I worry about my health most of the time. I’ve been prescribed Sertraline to help with this and have been taking this for about a week also.

I had a palpitation yesterday but I had done a little bit more than usual. It came and went pretty quickly once I had rested.

I don’t know if I am feeling this way due to my mood but I honestly feel like my mental health has been affected due to the physical problems I am experiencing. I don’t know if it’s down to the recent medication but I’ve lost my appetite somewhat too.

17th January 2024 – update. I’ve been taking the Sertraline (50mg) and Ramipril (2.5mg) for a couple of weeks now and I do feel like my mood/symptoms have improved. I was still getting the odd pins and needles sensation mainly in my right hand but over the last few days it has subsided a bit. The discomfort in my chest/rib has also subsided and my appetite has returned. I’ve noticed that I have been burping more than usual too.

Today I had a palpitation whilst out walking to the shop. I knew it was coming on as I was getting a burning sensation in my throat. I had the same feeling about 1½ weeks ago. Prior to going out to the shop I had eaten a beef & tomato ‘Pot Noodle’ snack, I also took my Sertraline medication (50mg) and prior to that a Multi-vitamin (Jointace Omega-3). It’s been about 2 hours since I ate and I can hear my stomach rumbling.

If there is anyone that could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.