Cardiac symptoms - suspected Haemochromatosis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

I've had increasing serum ferretin for some time (now at 817) with transferrin <50%. I am undergoing the test for HH in a day or two.

For some time I've experienced lethargy and now im having shortness of breath and umusual cardiac symptoms which are worrying me a lot (palpatations, flushes, rapid random increase in heart rate at rest, chest pains) and I am wondering if anybody else has been in that position? They are random but seem to be exasperated by stress/activity.

My concern is that every day that goes by my heart could be undergoing further damage if I have cardiac iron overload (visiting the docs and awaiting tests etc is a slow process but he has referred me to a cardiologist - not sure how long it will be until the appointment) and wondering if (re) visiting the emergency room would be the right move to get looked at sooner. (I have been previously but a 2 second, literally, ecg didnt show anything so I was dismissed).

I understand that asking this on a forum is probably not the right move but I'm at wits end and I'm hoping somebody with similar experience or knowledge can offer their thoughts. I worry that leaving this for another week or two will worsen any outcome.

Thanks for reading and any help you can offer.

šŸ€

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Some people have symptoms at low numbers other only have them at high.

It tends to be when people get to a number like yours they notice multi issues.

You may have other health issues without someone knowing your full history or access to get multi lab tests no one can answer this is something your doctor should be doing.

• Posted

Thanks miller jones.

Ive recently recieved my lab report back and I do have the faulty gene c282y (however only one copy) so have been referred to a haemotologist. I dread to think what the waiting time will be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.