CArpal tunnel????

Posted , 3 users are following.

i started getting wrist pain nearly a year ago... put it down to tendonitis and splinted it with a thumb/wrist splint for 6 weeks plus naproxen.

still painful right in the centre if wrist where it meets the palm and got diagnosed carpal tunnel purely because i had tingling when they pressed certain places (only slight). had a steroid injection... did nothing. been referred for srgery and the orthopaedics did same tests pressing places and said definitely carpal tunnel again.

i have just turned 30 and my right wrist looks like a 80 year old- see pic. is that normal???

i dont get tingling o numbness... just a lot of pain. cant write, chop veg, iron etc. it is splinted 24/7 now. my left wtist started a couple months ago.

last lady said i probably have a bit of de quervains tenosynovitis too. it goes all p my arm sometimes. all down outside of thumb by wrist, but sometimes the outside of my arm and little finger pain. yesterday the extensor tendons on top of both hands were burning! none of this adds up to carpal tunnel but because i get slight tining when they press an area then it is???

thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The test they are all relying on there is called Tinel's sign, or a variation Durkan's test. Tinel's in particular is deeply unreliable as an indicator of carpal tunnel syndrome with near 50% false positive and false negative rates so you might as well toss a coin to make the diagnosis. You have lots of other evidence against the diagnosis there so you are right to query it. Get some nerve conduction studies done. You could also run through the symptom questionnaire on my website which will give a fairly reliable estimate of the likelihood of CTS. Dr J Bland - Consultant Neurophysiologist

• Posted

thank you! I did the boston carpal tunnel questionnaire or something and it said 0%! i told them this but they shrugged it off. I feel they really need to have a look at how different it looks!

i requested nerve conduction studies which she was not happy with, so luckily i have those in 2 weeks 😃

• Posted

The BCTQ is designed to measure symptom severity, not to make a diagnosis. There is a simple questionnaire devised by Kamath which is used by some surgeons but mine is more accurate. JB

• Posted

thank you. Is this on carpal-tunnel.net? if so it says no chance of CTS 😦 thank you for your help though!

• Posted

Yes that's mine - a zero score doesn't technically mean there in no chance but it does make it pretty unlikely. Let me know if the NCS are normal or not - you can do that through the forums on my website too. JB

• Posted

My husband suffers from PMR and has pain go into his hands. There are times when the pain is in the left hand then it moves to the right hand. He gets lots of swelling when the pain is in his hand. Anyone have the same symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.